DIY chicken needs to hire someone to finish cable assembly, any ideas?
Jun 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rdaneel

100+ Head-Fier
I'm already embarrassed to post this on the DIY forum, so please don't flame me!  I bit off more than I can chew in terms of a DIY project and am trying to find someone who could help me finish a cable build.  I already purchased supplies to make a long (about 20') headphone cable for my HiFiMan HE-6s.  I figured I would assemble my own cable rather than buying something esoteric.  Unfortunately, I have zero soldering experience and the HiFiMan connectors are a lot tougher to solder than I can handle.

I'd like to hire someone to whom I can ship a box of cable, sleeve, shrink, teflon tube, Y splitter, connectors, etc. and have him/her assemble this thing and ship it back.  I believe I have all the parts necessary to do the headphone cable and a set of speaker taps with XLR connectors.  Any idea who I can turn to?  I have done plenty of business on the For Sale forum and am a very trustworthy HeadFi'er, and I promise this won't be an aggravating experience for the person with the assembly skills!

Thanks in advance, I'd love to actually be able to listen to these amazing headphones without rearranging the furniture in my living room to use the short stock cable...
RDaneel

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 5
What's intimidating you from finishing this on your own? Is it the size of the connector pins? If you don't have one, a helping / third hand tool can be really useful for holding the connector and wire in place. I think you should be able to finish this one even without prior soldering experience, I wouldn't give up yet!

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 5
hembergler - thanks for the encouragement!  The main hold-ups are my wonderful children and lack of a soldering iron/experience.  Rather than buy a Hakko and try to learn enough soldering to not mess up the parts, I could spend that money having someone do a nice job.  I'd rather not end up with something hacked together, and this looks to be a bit more than I am likely to be able to do well.  I was raised that if you're going to do something, do it right.  I'm not sure I can pull off "right" in this instance - those HiFiMan connectors have about one square millimeter of solder area...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back