DIY case for my new 5G iPod
Jan 25, 2006 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a 5G iPod and while I wait for my Invisible Shield to arrive I decided I had to make some kind of case for it. I first took off the "Don't steal music." plastic, but left the cling-on, and then got a sleeve from my old iSee 20GB case, and cut the sides and then re-taped them, to make the sleeve a bit smaller for the thinner 5G, 30GB iPod. Then I took the included Apple sleeve and I made a hole for the screen and drew a circle so I know where the clickwheel is. Surprisingly, scrolling seems to work quite well through the included case. Here's pics:

case004medium3yn.jpg

case006medium4sw.jpg

I think that if you don't have the iSee sleeve you could just cut a hole for the dock connector and heaphone port in the "Don't steal music." plastic and put it on upside down, so that the screen is visible (I did the for my girlfriend's new 5G and it works well, but the optical clarity through this plastic is not very good).

If you didn't see it in the DIY section I also made a cardboard docking station for my 4G iPod, but the 5G fits fine too.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158613

ipoddock003medium7bz.jpg

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
nice, i really like the cardboard dock A+

My Q is, how does the line out sound?

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
nice, i really like the cardboard dock A+

Thanks, I think now that I have the universal dock adapter that came with my 5G iPod I may try and fashion a better docking station based on some kind of cheap electronics enclosure (maybe one from Radioshack). Hopefully this will give me a little bit more professional look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
My Q is, how does the line out sound?

Line out is definitely worth it if you are going to amp your iPod (headphone amp, or to speakers). I was playing my iPod today through my DIY dock and to my speakers, and my roommate came in a asked me how it sounded so good, because his always sounds bad out of the headphone port to speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back