DIY cables, suggestions for parts?
May 1, 2010 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ROBSCIX

Headphoneus Supremus
I was looking for some suggestions for the more experienced cable makers in the crowd. I need a new hobby, or extention of my current one.
I am considering amkign some cables for my system and need some advice.

What is the opinions of silver over copper?
What are some high grade reasonably priced plugs?
I have looked over the various brands but having not tried out any of them, I am unsure of the quality of each brands.

Opinions, suggestions?

Any advice would be welcome...

May 1, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 6
What kind of plugs are you looking for? For solid, mid-range stuff, look no further than Switchcraft, Canare or Neutrik. Moving up the chain, we have Furutech, LOK, Viablue and Cardas. At the very top, WBT and Eichman (be warned these costs quite a bit of cash). There are hundreds of brands, but those are the ones I trust most.

I'll let other, more knowledgeable people explain the differences between silver and copper, but be forewarned what someone heard may not be the same for another person.

Brendan

May 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of plugs are you looking for? For solid, mid-range stuff, look no further than Switchcraft, Canare or Neutrik. Moving up the chain, we have Furutech, LOK, Viablue and Cardas. At the very top, WBT and Eichman (be warned these costs quite a bit of cash). There are hundreds of brands, but those are the ones I trust most.

I have been looking at the various brands, was just interested in some possible impressions of each. I want to start with some decent mid grade cables and possibly work up to others down the road. I have been reading design ideas and I have some of my own. I liek the idea of building my own cables as opposed to buying some from others for a markup.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll let other, more knowledgeable people explain the differences between silver and copper, but be forewarned what someone heard may not be the same for another person.

Brendan

Yes, I uderstand the differences in what people hear and it seems there is a bit of a debate regarding silver sounding this way or that way compared to copper.

May 1, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 6
So far I have started and stayed with Neutrik Rean phonos as they are cheap, well made and easy to work with. I also preferred the build of the Rean tiny XLR to that of the one by Switchcraft. So for build I would go for Neutrik over Switchcraft so far.

As for cable I have gone with Proel and Van Damme. I ended up with the above as they are available on ebay.

To start off with I bough some cheap stuff out of Maplins to practice with.

May 3, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes, I always do alot of back reading before I ask for suggestions.
I think I am good to go now, I have some suppliers and some good ideas and prelim designs for my new interconnects.

Thanks to those that pointed in the right directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back