DIY cables (No sound!)
May 1, 2003 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Noesis

Head-Fier
Greetings.

I'm a newbie who decided it would be neat to make my own interconnects. Well, I went to radio shack and picked up all the stuff I needed to practice with. Tonight I made a "test" pair of cables. Everything "seemed" to be fine until I tested them.

They make no sound. Not a good start to a DIY hobby, haha.

My test design was pretty simple. Two wires, teflon tape around it, then some electrical tape, then an encloser of electrical tape all around that. When I went to solder them (I'm sure this is where my mistake comes in) I did the best I could. The wires are attached. I checked to see if they broke or something along the way but they didn't.

What do you guys think is wrong?

I feel kind of embarrassed/stupid having to ask why my interconnects don't have any sound, but, I can't seem to find the problem!

Thanks,
-Chad

May 1, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 10
We all have to start some where
wink.gif
If you have a meter, you can do a continuity test . You could have a cold solder joint where the solder didn't make good contact to the wire.

May 1, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 10
Use an ohmmeter or continuity checker to make sure that the center pin on each end is electrically connected to the center pin on the other end. Then do the same for the outside (shield) conductor.

If either of those isn't connected, then there's your problem.

May 1, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Looking at the cables more closely...I can see the solder is wide enough where both the left and right wires are connected by the solder... is this a problem? Wouldn't they be connected anyways by the terminator itself?

-Chad

May 1, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Left and right are carried in separate cables, so they can't be bridged. If you mean that you've connected the center conductor (signal) to the outer one (ground), then that's a problem... that's why you aren't getting sound.

May 1, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Ok, I'm confused. There are two tabs, one of the left and one on the right. I have a wire attached to each, but the solder (Because I'm bad at soldering) is connnecting the two... Is that the problem?

If so, how can I get rid of the solder that is connecting them without heating again.... can I "chisle" it away? I'm terrible with a soldering iron. I don't how how I can solder two wires that close without them being connected :/

I know these questions are dumb, I appreciate you guys answering them.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chad

May 1, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by stereth
Check continuity along each conductor. If that's good, I don't know what to tell you. Did you try it alongside a cable that you know works?

I did check it with a cable that works. My cable is definetly the problem. Good thought though.

I don't have a meter to test it with... :/

-Chad

May 1, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Noesis
Ok, I'm confused. There are two tabs, one of the left and one on the right. I have a wire attached to each, but the solder (Because I'm bad at soldering) is connnecting the two... Is that the problem?

Yes. Quote:

If so, how can I get rid of the solder that is connecting them without heating again.... can I "chisle" it away?

No. Heat it with a soldering iron again, then use a "solder sucker" or desoldering braid to remove the excess. Then resolder the wires, this time using the soldering iron to heat the tab/wire junction and applying a small amount of solder to the heated junction, not the tip of the soldering iron.

May 1, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Oh! That makes a lot more sense.

So I heat the area with the gun...and then just push some solder on there... so the solder that actually goes on there never gets on the gun and thus I don't have the "globbing" problem.

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend!

Regards,
-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back