DIY cable material
Dec 27, 2007 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

simply_BLACK

New Head-Fier
greetings folks,

let's say i'm going to make myself a 3.5mm stereo-stereo cable. the plug chosen is SwitchCraft's right angle type. and now comes to the interconnect material. i know that i can simply choose any starquad configured microphone cable to make it as i'm pretty familiar with Canare L-4E6S. in this case, i would like to make something extraordinary. can i use internal hookup wire like vampire internal hookup wire, 3 wires braided configuration in this case? any better suggestion? i don't really know if this kinda hookup wires are suitable in terms of reactance/impedance/resistance compared to the old canare i always use.

i know that 18gauge is wayyyy big and signal doesn't improve much from thick cable but i just couldn't find 26gauge size.

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 11
I think that wire's just too big IMO. But there are a lot of other boutique wires out there.

Check out parts conneXion - The authority on hi-fi DIY parts and components -- they have many different types of wire, copper and silver. I really like the Jupiter 26awg copper (cotton covered). They also have some 23awg copper wire from Kimber that I've been meaning to try. Those are around $1.50-2.00 per foot.

I've made cables with nice wire, and I can hear a difference. But some people don't...there's no guarantee that if you make a cable paying $6/ft for wire that it will blow you away with its sound.

Dec 28, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 11
If you're in the US and not too picky about colour, I can probably hook you up with some SPC from my supplies. The wire is definitely suitable, as it's the same wire I use on the cables I sell, but I don't have much besides white right now (currently around 7,000 feet of white on spools, and a couple thousand feet of random, mostly short, bits of other colours). All I'd ask is that you cover the shipping costs.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 11
You are going to want to do 4 wires and not just 3. You should have the same total number of ground wires and your signal wires.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyhoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are going to want to do 4 wires and not just 3. You should have the same total number of ground wires and your signal wires.

noted.
my primary concern is the choosen type of wires..

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back