diy cable material selection
Nov 6, 2008 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ooztuncer

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
Even tough I would like to build my own cables, I have no experience at all and minimum tools at hand. Therefore, I am planning to open a WTB thread soon, however I would like to get your opinions on materials first.

I am in need of & thinking to use:

a) 4 pair of speaker cables (2 pairs will be around 2 feet and other 2 pairs will be around 10 feet): Cat5e braids (4x # of feet) or Canare 4S11 star quad or Acoustic Zen Pro speaker cables with tech flex or some other brand sleeves and shells.

b) 3x analog interconnects: Belden 89259 cable, Canare crimp-type plugs.

c) 2x coaxial: Belden 89259 cable, Canare crimp-type plugs.

d) 2x mini to mini: copper or silver; brand?

e) 1x optical: ?? - buy from blue jeans?

Recommendations, blessings, ideas, etc. - throw at me...Thanks.

PS: above cables will be used in these systems
1) ps3 > denon 987 > short speaker cable > niles spk-1 > long speaker cable > strata mini
2) onix xcd-88 > coaxial > stello dac100 > interconnect > onix sp3 > short speaker cable > niles spk-1 > long speaker cable > strata mini
3) ps1 > interconnect > t-amp > long speaker cable > x-ls
4) iriver h120 > optical > ultra micro dac > mini to mini > ultra micro amp > dt880

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 3
My favorites
Optical
Coax
RCA IC
Mini-mini
Perhaps something a little more exotic for the speakers.

It's not that I don't believe in audiophile cables(which I kinda do.. don't), but I think to myself, if it's good enough for the rest of the world, it's good enough for me.
At the end of the day, I look at the $300 I still have on hand and treat myself to a nice meal... give to charity... or maybe just buy myself a new headphone =)

edit.. I wasn't sure what you wanted. You said you were going to purchase cables, but you wanted recommendations for DIY parts?

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 3
I tend to agree with James, in that boutique silver supercrystal linear accellerometer wire isn't worth a small fortune. Alternatively, I don't think any of the materials you have listed are unreasonable. There is definite value in using high quality cable from belden and canare. I've seen that stuff at work in $150k+ industrial machines. It will last you two lifetimes if you don't abuse it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back