DIY Cable Help
May 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Zowlyfon

Head-Fier
Hi, I am currently planning on making a new budget cable (Under £25) for my Fostex T50RPs which have a wire going into each headphone. I have been researching this over the internet over the past few days and would really appreciate some advice. I have never heard much of a difference with cable, so Duribility is my main concern.

My main concern is Starquad or Braided?

I like Braided cables because they looks easier to solder and they generally look nicer, but it is hard to know how good a cable is going to be (Duribility and Flexibility).

Starquad also look nice, but not as nice as braded IMO, however in my experience it is hard to solder to connectors and is hard to terminate to y.

Another question is what sleeving I should use.

If I get braided, what should I look for? (AWG, insulated, conductor)

I would like to try and order everything from uk.farnell.com.

since I want to keep this under £25, I think silver cable may be out of budget.

All help is much appreciated, thank you.

May 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 3
I advise you to move this to the DIY CABLE GALLERY thread, but in the meantime.

Is hi sfor portable use? Or at home use?

For my cables, which are usually about 5ft, I use 26 AWG Silver Plated OFC from eBay, I sleeve this in Nylon Multifiliment or Techflex. I then braid these.

It's pretty durable, the only issue I always have is there is always a gap between connector and wire where techflex isn't, so I need to work on that. Other than that, I think it's pretty great.

Star quad is not as flexible generally and Is also very annoying to solder to connectors do to its width,

May 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hi, I am currently planning on making a new budget cable (Under £25) for my Fostex T50RPs which have a wire going into each headphone. I have been researching this over the internet over the past few days and would really appreciate some advice. I have never heard much of a difference with cable, so Duribility is my main concern.

My main concern is Starquad or Braided?

I like Braided cables because they looks easier to solder and they generally look nicer, but it is hard to know how good a cable is going to be (Duribility and Flexibility).

Starquad also look nice, but not as nice as braded IMO, however in my experience it is hard to solder to connectors and is hard to terminate to y.

Another question is what sleeving I should use.

If I get braided, what should I look for? (AWG, insulated, conductor)

I would like to try and order everything from uk.farnell.com.

since I want to keep this under £25, I think silver cable may be out of budget.

All help is much appreciated, thank you.

Starquad.....
For all my audio stuff, I just use canare and neutrik 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back