DIY: Build your own ETYMOTIC ER-4S!
Mar 16, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #17 of 33
Awesome! Great photos, handiwork and very inspirational!
eek.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #18 of 33
Wow, incredible. And layed out so even someone like me can get it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #20 of 33
Absolutely fantastic work. I Wish I had the balls to try it - I assume microphony is totally eliminated?

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 33
Thanks for the replies an compliment, all of you
etysmile.gif

Now to answer some of the questions:

How does it sounds?:
Well Ety being Ety sounds like Ety regardless what cable used. Pure audiophile bliss in your ear
wink.gif

Can this be done to other earbuds or IEMs?
Hell yes, if you are crazy enuff
icon10.gif

Why I choose 100 Ohm Straight:
This is a direct conversion from P to S - with only ONE Resistors Pod. ER-4 drivers itself bear almost no impedance and solely depends on the cable to provide resistance. I will only use 75 Ohm if I am modding an existing ER-4P which already have a 24 Ohm Pod installed.

So what's the story with zune all over the props:
ER-4S & zune have some kick-butt synergy that I have ever heard personally. So good I almost could do without an external amp. But an amp is on the way to help with Soundstage and Resolution enhancement.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #24 of 33
do u have any ideas for pins other than ripping them out of of the er-4 cable? that's the only part i don't feel like doing.

edit: on xin's site, it says it's better to put the resistors on the mini jack rather than further up the cable

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do u have any ideas for pins other than ripping them out of of the er-4 cable? that's the only part i don't feel like doing.

That's the difficult part because the pins come in two sizes and they have that groove near the head. If you are willing to spend some time experimenting you could just dismantle the driver and start comparing the sizes with a few copper rods that can be trimmed
etysmile.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #27 of 33
I did a very similar mod to my IM716s and cant tell them apart from my ER-4S. I actually struck a nice balance between the S and the P. Putting the resisters in place of the volume control, I get the same effect for 62.00 + 1.00 total cost 63.00 and the IM716s already fit inside of my ear.

The Ety and the IM716 are both fast and accurate, but I find I listen to my E500s 95% of the time for portable. They just fit in the ear so well

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #28 of 33
UPDATE:
I was forced to re-modify my ER-4S. Apparently the combo of zune cables and 100 Ohm resistors are not turning out well. There's a weird uneven bias to the sonic presentation which is a bit disturbing - perhaps it has something to do with the resistors (bad patch or imbalance). So I decided to rewire the whole thing with original Ety cable and add a permanent 75 Ohm POD - now things are back to normal.

The Final Pic:
FinalModER-4S01.jpg

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back