DIY Battery pack idea...
Oct 27, 2004 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok... I'm going to use simple terms because they are all I know.
biggrin.gif

Not sure how 'revolutionary' this idea is or if it is possible, but I thought I would throw it out to the DIY forum for discussion. There will be three 'modes' of operation.

Plugged in while running:
Device [amp, dac, whatever]
Power Cable [any kind, any connector]
Battery Pack [with a charge circuit]
Female IEC connection
Power Cable of your choice [I'll be using my Quail PC]
Power Source

Running on battery power:
Device [amp, dac, whatever]
Power Cable [any kind, any connector]

Recharging Battery pack without using the device:
Power Cable of your choice [I'll be using my Quail PC]
Power Source

This way it will be good for portable as well as home use and you dont have to constantly be swapping batteries and can use aftermarket cables.

A few questions:

1. What do you think would be the best cable/connection to use between the device and the battery pack.

2. I'm assuming the power supply would have to stay in the device unless you wanted the biggest battery pack ever, but if not do you think it would be better to have the power supply in the battery pack enclosure?

3. Will this charge circuit be possible?

4. When in use and plugged into the wall, would it bypass the batteries, or would it constantly be charging the batteries and outputting from the batteries to the device? [effectively 'regenerating' the power in a sense]

Thats basically it... I think it would be a good setup for a transportable device to get the best of both worlds. And I have 2 Quail PC's that I dont know what to do with.
icon10.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 10
Without talking about the device(s) to be powered, none of the rest of your questions can be answered.

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 10
Well in my case I will be trying to fit a DAC [possibly a scott nixon dackit] and a headphone amp [possibly a PIMETA] into a extrutech RS-5010 case. Both will be powered separately and two battery packs will be needed when I use it on the go. I just thought it would be cool if the charge circuit was built in and if I could use the Quail PC's when at home.

I'm not quite sure if I will be able to fit them both into one case, so I might need to use two, but the battery pack situation would be the same.

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 10
The main problem when trying to power a DAC and an audio amp from the same supply is that the DAC usually runs from a low-voltage single-ended power supply, but the audio amp wants a dual voltage supply and is happier with more voltage than less.

This thread gives you an indication of some of the problems, and solutions.

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, I was planning on having two separate battery packs and two separate power supplies. This is the main reason that I dont think I will be able to fit it all in the RS-5010 chassis. I will probably have to use two. However, if it is possible to have the PSU and the charge circuit in the battery pack enclosure I might be able to do it. The battery pack's will need to fit in the side compartments of the Headroom Traveller bag, but I'm not set on using any specific kind of battery. Could be AA, AAA, D, 9volt... whatever works and provides the best power source for the two devices.

Edit: I'll take a look at that thread though, thanks.
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 10
So, any idea if this sort of setup is possible? Obviously the battery pack for the DAC and the amp would need to be separate and would likely use a different setup, but I'm not sure if something like this would be more trouble than it is worth to set up or if it would be relatively simple.

Oct 30, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 10
I'd love a universal battery pack, charger and power source. I'd suggest an elpac type connector or a few of them for amps, also some usb and firewire connectors for ipods, phone chargers etc. Perhaps also laptop charging and a connector to a battery eliminator for photographic flashguns.

Anything that can power my
Amp
Dac
Palm
Phone
Digital Camera
Laptop
Flash
etc

or any combination would be cool.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger
I use two of these to power a portable amp and portable AOS Picollo DAC. They fit nicely in a HeadRoom Traveler bag and can be used to power your devices while at home also.

How's this device working out for you? I'm think of turning my Headsave Classic in to a portable amp with that battery pack (I'd like to find one that is 24V though ,.. any links/suggestions to one?)

rolleyes.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back