DIY Battery Generator - Pure Sine Wave Inverter - Disconnect From The Wall
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

khbaur330162

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Built my own battery generator for hi-fi duty. It powers my DAC and amp. 12V LiFePo4 by 100Ah; lasts most of the day and my entire rig draws over 60W which is a bit high for headphones.

(12.8 Volts DC nominal voltage) x (100 Amp hours) = 1,280 Watt hours
((90% efficiency) x (1,280Wh)) / 65W = 17.72 hours runtime

Here's a picture of it:

2022-12-26_175200.jpg

Initial impressions:
  1. Smooooooth.
  2. (Extension of #1) Cuts down on sibilance, reduced glare/noise in ~5-6kHz range, more even tonal response (smidge darker) to my ears (less need for upper-mid EQ), although ~2kHz can be a bit more biting perhaps due to increased volume due to darkness.
  3. Specific sounds can emanate from pure silence/blackness, edges of voices hyper fleshed out
  4. (Extension of #3) Easier to pick apart track layers
  5. Bass remains clean yet also gains a bit of oomph in the breath region (125-200Hz range), bass boost seems more effective yet impact region (75-100Hz) seems perhaps slightly lower in respect to breath when compared to wall power with specific songs, so slight tradeoff yet on average there's overall more impact with batteries imho
  6. Sounds more refined than Bluetti and EcoFlow battery generators somehow
  7. Echoes travel further and are more apparent
  8. Outer edges of audio image seem extended slightly, less “tunnel vision effect”
  9. Very organic texturing, not hyper-recording like Bluetti, attack not overly etched out
  10. Treble “rings true”. Sounds very natural with impeccable tonal character, texture and extension
  11. Sounds sweeter
  12. Easier to differentiate bass pitch
  13. Easier to differentiate background singers from one another

Overall, after a few days with it, I'd say my rig cuts deeper into track, has better midrange attack/texture, has better bass, has better treble, is bolder/more vibrant, has better layering between sounds.

If you are unable to build your own yet still have interest in something like this I highly recommend the Bluetti EB120, EB150, or EB240 units. I believe these may sound better than newer Bluetti products given what I've read. Max Oak (Bluetti parent company) has free returns on eBay for 30 days, you have nothing to lose.

Disclaimer:
I am using a vintage DAC (~22W) and amp (~44W) which may not have the best power supplies due to advancement in technology since their release. As usual, YMMV. Only personally recommended for summit-fi or at least highly resolving rigs that are more or less "finished". Not recommended for 5V devices (USB powered or with switching power supplies).

Sorry if it's boring or hard to follow, trying to throw a lot of info at you quickly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back