DIY balanced cables for HD-580 - possible?
Oct 24, 2007 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MH79

100+ Head-Fier
Inspired after seeing the dual balanced cmoy amp thread, and finally wrapping my head around how balanced headphones actually work (this site really helped: http://www.headphone.com/products/fa...vs-unbalanced/ ), I think I may have a go at running my HD-580 in a balanced set up (once I get all the bits)

Now, would it be possible to just buy a HD-650 cable, and modify it for balanced operation? I'd only really end up using the plugs from the HD-650 really (it's a shame you can't get the plugs seperately for a reasonable cost).

Also, is there any reason to use XLR plugs apart from durability? I was planning on using 1/4" jacks instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electron Tube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very easy to do. Cut off the stock plug on the stock cable. Slap on dual xlrs and presto. Of course you could also use dual 1/4 inchers, but the easiest method I believe is just a single 4 pin xlr.

So the stock cable actually has 4 cores? I was expecting 2 cores plus shared ground.... That makes things even better.

I guess 4 pin XLR would be neater and nicer - I'll have to get ordering. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Here is wiring diagram you should keep in mind and you are all set to rock your world.

Keep also in mind, the thinner pin is "+" and thicker pin is "-". It's a pain in the a** to solder stock HD650 cables...so use lot of flux and keep your soldering iron clean.

If you need to make some balanced patch cables...here is a great site: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/

Good luck...

(Picture from unknown head-fier)
12078227ev1.jpg

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the piccy SK138... I've ordered another HD-650 cable, so I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive now.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should be going for a similar set up to your cmoybb's but with Penguinamp Caffeines instead - balanced on a budget.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 8
Will do, but it won't be done for a while yet...

Post is still taking ages in the UK as we;ve had a postal strike recently, and it seems they;re still dealing with the backlog...

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 8
MikeHunt79, you need to change your avatar. I can't concentrate reading the posts
biggrin.gif

Balanced cMoy is lots of fun. You will enjoy it.

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 8
I've been instructed in another thread not to change it, so it's staying for now.
wink.gif

One of my amps is burning in now... hopefully the other one should arrive soon, then I should be ready to give it a go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back