diy audio interconnects tips
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jo-JS

Head-Fier
hey, as i have been making my own cables forever, and i got really high-end equipment, i thought to venture into high-end interconnects, and if it comes out pretty enough (until now all my cables has been purely utilitarian and far from pretty) maybe sell them around here or other places..

what i already do that can be considered high end - im working with very thick cables, stranded cables when needs flexibility, my cables of choice are made in japan (canary) and most of them are silver coated single crystal copper, and my solder material is high in silver as well, which can be considered silver solder (I have both sterling and mixed tin+silver solder spools)
and of course only neutrik connectors whenever possible.

i feel all i really need is the secret sauce in beautifying my creations and then i can maybe give some around and get traction.

i couldn't find any videos on the topic, or where to buy materials like sleeves (i just test-ordered from MDPC-X germany, waiting for the sleeves to arrive), or how to use heatshrink to beautify things, or just general quality touches that makes a cable premium cable.

any suggestions would be welcomed

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Techflex, heatshrink, custom heatshrink labels, etc...all easy to use. Check out some YouTube videos about cable building if you are already building cables, it shouldn't be difficult to do cosmetic stuff to make them look as ridiculous as you want.

Depends where you live, but you should be able to buy this stuff anywhere you are buying your bulk wire, silver solder and neutrik connectors. If not just...not to be harsh....just search braided cable sleeve and find colors you like, search heatshrink too.

Fancy colored braided sleeves, do not make a cable premium. It cosmetic and makes a cable "look" like...whatever you want. Whenever i see colorful braided jackets covering custom cables...i think its funny and it seems to always be a way to make....wire.....seem excitiny. Canary with neutrik and silver solder...sounds fine.

If you want colors, just order your bulk wire.....with a different color jacket.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Techflex, heatshrink, custom heatshrink labels, etc...all easy to use. Check out some YouTube videos about cable building if you are already building cables, it shouldn't be difficult to do cosmetic stuff to make them look as ridiculous as you want.

Depends where you live, but you should be able to buy this stuff anywhere you are buying your bulk wire, silver solder and neutrik connectors. If not just...not to be harsh....just search braided cable sleeve and find colors you like, search heatshrink too.

Fancy colored braided sleeves, do not make a cable premium. It cosmetic and makes a cable "look" like...whatever you want. Whenever i see colorful braided jackets covering custom cables...i think its funny and it seems to always be a way to make....wire.....seem excitiny. Canary with neutrik and silver solder...sounds fine.

If you want colors, just order your bulk wire.....with a different color jacket.
hey man :) thank you for the reply.

I am making cables for years now, I have a hakko 936D (real one) soldering station with tons of tips for the iron itself, i will soon have heat shrink gun, i have tons of vises with flexible arms. really solid soldering station all in all, and im using japanese imported cables with silver tin [sometimes even sterling level of purity)

but, i always make them just... plug - cable - plug, no heatshrinks, no sleeves, no cool plugs that has some fizazz to them, as plain as bread.. i want to up my game and beautify them, i am now experimenting for first time with heat shrink and sleeves but maybe there are other cool stuff i can add, or make my cables more functional with something i dont know exists... also i saw some guy on youtube using loctite to make the heatshrink basically weld-bond to the sleeve, stuff like this... i cant find any cable making tutorials so i came here, id love links to videos.. even basic stuff like correct work process with heatshrink and sleeves etc.

thanks again for taking the time to answer me :)

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 6
hey man :) thank you for the reply.

I am making cables for years now, I have a hakko 936D (real one) soldering station with tons of tips for the iron itself, i will soon have heat shrink gun, i have tons of vises with flexible arms. really solid soldering station all in all, and im using japanese imported cables with silver tin [sometimes even sterling level of purity)

but, i always make them just... plug - cable - plug, no heatshrinks, no sleeves, no cool plugs that has some fizazz to them, as plain as bread.. i want to up my game and beautify them, i am now experimenting for first time with heat shrink and sleeves but maybe there are other cool stuff i can add, or make my cables more functional with something i dont know exists... also i saw some guy on youtube using loctite to make the heatshrink basically weld-bond to the sleeve, stuff like this... i cant find any cable making tutorials so i came here, id love links to videos.. even basic stuff like correct work process with heatshrink and sleeves etc.

thanks again for taking the time to answer me :)
If you search "sleeving custom audio cable" on youtube, you will find tons of videos on how to add sleeves, do braiding, paracord sleeving, etc. There are also videos covering all types of cables, so you might need to watch a video about sleeving a custom xlr cable even though you are building maybe a headphone cable. There are videos for instance in that search, that are how to size nylon techflex sleeve, totally useful for what you are doing, but it's a video about car audio stuff.

It's all out there. I would start by just keeping it simple. Figure out what looks cool to you, then make your own. Making cables look good crosses over to a lot of other things...automotive, custom pc building, etc. So if you search that term i mentioned, you should be able to come up with something that will help.

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 6
Manufacturers aren't going to give away their secrets. Frankly, the market is oversaturated with people slapping a fancy sleeve on bulk terminated cable. Figure out a way to set yourself apart, whether that's with design, materials, marketing, etc. What are you going to bring to the table that someone else isn't already?

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Manufacturers aren't going to give away their secrets. Frankly, the market is oversaturated with people slapping a fancy sleeve on bulk terminated cable. Figure out a way to set yourself apart, whether that's with design, materials, marketing, etc. What are you going to bring to the table that someone else isn't already?
In all honesty I thought that if people who does this for fun will share a few "secrets" I could get my level up considerably.

Also, what I want to bring to the table is no compromise for the best prices. It has upside and downs of course.. but I am not intending to live off of it, at all. I have my full time salary. I just like making cables for myself and thought it could be a nice side gig, building to order cool (not no nonsense) high quality cables for a price I can profit but still remain low cost. However I do think I shouldn't skimp on the cool factor, and if I bring both to the table, I'm bringing a lot in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply! While I already had this in mind, bringing it to the front of my thoughts did help me put together better in what I'm trying to do here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back