DIY audio cable shielding?
Jun 18, 2009 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

j3ff86

Head-Fier
I have my sound card hooked up to my computer case's front audio panel, and I get faint electrical noise when I open folders, scroll through websites, etc. Is there any way to add EMI shielding to the front panel cable myself? For example, wrapping the cable in aluminum foil tape? Or do I need a special kind of tape to block the interference?

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 7
You can get those braided shields in a lot of places, but aluminum foil if implemented correctly can do the job as well just as well, if not better. make sure it's grounded, else it won't attenuate either HF or ELF.

I'm just speculating, but I think the noise has more to do with the way your soundcard pulls power off the PCI bus.. and how the motherboard handles the power, since afterall.. the cpu and pci bus draws power from the same 12v rail.

Do you get the same kind of noise when you connect the headphones via output on the back?

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you get the same kind of noise when you connect the headphones via output on the back?

None at all. I've held the front cable in my hand and moved it around while my headphones were connected, and it's loudest when it's next to my hard drive, so I know it has to do with cable interference.

Also I think the front panel is already grounded if you look at this pic:
img2627h.jpg

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 7
You have to make sure the shield is grounded. Not just the front panel, though the panel you seem to be referring to is just a plastic piece to which the jacks are attached to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back