DIY amp in the 500-1000USD range which you find would be worth building?
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nate is right - there are lots and lots of designs you can build in your price range.

What I'd do would be to look at your choice in the context of the headphones you plan to use. That will tell you whether you need low output impedance, can get away with an OTL, etc.

If you want an amp with a lot of tubes, check Eric Barbour's Brute Force at Headwize. I have one about 90% complete, but a heavy schedule at work has kept me from cmpleting it. But the parts are carefully boxed away and when I can get two or three free weekends and home at a reasonable hour, it'll be up and running.

The Brute Force can be built with eight tubes - you can use tube regulators in it! I opted for that configuration just to have the extra tubes (
smily_headphones1.gif
) and because the regulators glow blue and purple. It can also be configured as a preamp, something you said you wanted.

If you use Hammond iron, you can get the transformers for a little under $200 USD. The rest can be had reasonably - under $300 if you really scrounge, sans the case.

I will surely check this out.

My next headphones shall be HD650 or if im feeling insane maybe HD800's (arent they flimsy? 800's look kind of flimsy, I mean headphones that expensive should be durable, not that I plan on throwing them around but compared to 650's).
and also beyerdynamics DT880/990 for more fun and bassy listening.
I havent tried any Grados yet...I do not like too up-front sound so im sceptical of grados but who knows maybe higher end will deliver more soundstage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build a GM70 power amp with mercury vapor rectifiers

This is a Beast a truly brütal monster of a thing. But I think Im gonna hold off from poweramps for awhile because poweramps lead to more expensive speakers and so on. At the moment I have a nice Sony TA3200F Solid state vintage amp and a nice set of Canton floorstanding speakers but surely if I build an amp that good...I immediately have to build myself some really badass speakers aswell.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 18
You could build a way over the top balanced cmoy for that price. By the time I'd get through the To-99 OPA637s, custom-made transformers for each channel, custom PCBs for the PS and amps portions and the premium audio grade input caps I'd been in the range.

Actually, I'd blow your budget on one part - an ALPS RK50 pot.
biggrin.gif

Just to point out that you can get into that range doing anything you want.

And I've never heard one of any of the above, but I'd think for an all out build I'd try building myself a DynaFet

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #18 of 18
I'll bite. Not that there was, but now there's really no answers for this
smily_headphones1.gif

There are amp/headphone synergies to consider especially for amps whose character is rather fixed (many/most SS designs, hybrids where tube choice has minimal affect).
E.g. I've HF-2s on the way because I've heard them with my b22, D2000s are a bit bass-heavy w/it & DT880s a bit bass-shy (OTOH both those cans are great w/specific tubes in the CTH). So much to consider.

Also guessing your budget is similar for all elements of your setup (source, cans).
Best bet is to get to a meet where these characters are present (if possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back