DIY amp for Grado RS1
Mar 9, 2009 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'd like to build a DIY amp for a pair of grado RS1.
thought it was fun to build one last time, and probably more value for less money.

soo. I'd like one that can drive a pair of Grado RS1's pretty good, but no tube amp this time. haven't got the grado RS1 yet but I'm about 99% sure that I will buy them, just waiting for the right deal since they're just around 1000$ in Sweden... and I've missed out on a couple of deals for less than half of that.

located in Europe so 230V (I think?) is required

my preferences would be:
kind of easy to build, and I'd really like if I didn't have to make the circuit board myself, just order it somewhere online.
good and easy understandable building manual.
not tube/hybrid. I realize most people here seem to like tubes with the RS1 but I don't think I want to color or warm the sound. you could try to change my mind but I don't know how.
I haven't listened to any crossfeed amps but I don't think that's what I want actually, I could use speakers for that I guess?
price <300$ in total, cause I have to afford the RS1's too right now.

could also use a recommendation for a DIY DAC, since I right now have a crappy Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. but I was thinking of getting a DAC

search function gave me some amp called WNA but their website says they quit making kits. so no luck there. last post on this forum for WNA was 2005.. or something.

also please tell me I'm doing the right thing getting the RS1 and a solid-state amp... it's a lot of money :p

if my musical taste matters it's mostly music with mellow guitars/sounds like post-rock and experimental kind of music. don't like heavy bass music.
xeefus’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm last.fm profile

thanks in advance. messy post, really tired and having a headache. sorry about that.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 51
hmm, it really does not have to be that simple. but I'll have a look!
I mean, I do have some experience in soldering and my moms boyfriend has done it for a couple of years... I'd like something that is not really in pocketform cause I won't be bringing it outside my home. or do the RS1 not require that much power...?
don't think I said it has to be small or...?
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 51
x2 for the CK2III. A great amp and I love it with my RS-1s. It also has a wonderfully small footprint so that it easily fits in a backpack and whatnot.

I spend $250 on a good quality build including the one time costs of soldering iron and whatnot.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 51
that's more like it! looks like something that will give me a challenge too.
can one order pre-made kits of these or do I have to hunt the parts myself? I really don't know where to buy eletronic components but I'll just ask for help here if I chose to build that one and get stuck!

thanks for the suggestion

cool, nice to see that you are even using that combo!
smily_headphones1.gif
250$ is not too bad either, good quality building sounds nice.
how big are my chances to get a hold of the parts in europe?

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 51
You should be able to source all of the parts that amb does not offer from Farnell.
If I can find the time I will do some digging and see what I can come up with.....

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

cool, nice to see that you are even using that combo!
smily_headphones1.gif
250$ is not too bad either, good quality building sounds nice.
how big are my chances to get a hold of the parts in europe?

Yeah. It is really nice. I am thinking about upgrading, but I am completely happy with the sound that I am getting with CK2III + Rs-1, so that upgrade wont come soon and I don't mind one bit. (I think it would be fun to pretty much max out the SS possibilities and do a beta 22 build.) I can't help with parts, tho. Sorry.

Also, have you considered picking up used grados from the fs forums? You would just need to find someone willing to do the shipping. Even if you paid and extra $100 for shipping, it would be only ~$600, way lower than a new pair in europe.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 51
Ah, that's very nice of you!
smily_headphones1.gif

I might start looking today already.
and yes, I am considering doing so with the phones, I think I wrote that in the first post didn't I?
but anyway, understand if it was not clear or even there... I spent whole sunday studying, not an hour of sleep.

so, that beta 22 is the best amb has to offer? hmm, well, I might save that for a later project if I ever feel like upgrading. I will probably reach nirvana with the RS1 for a while.

thanks a lot !
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 51
the ra-1 is a great amp for rs-1. you shouldn't avoid it just because it's simple. i suggest you try to build a dual mono version of the ra-1 clone as i've always been curious to know how that peforms,
biggrin.gif
but use the proper parts as if you use diff parts than the factory standards the magic might get lost...

if you insist on a more challenging build, try dynalo, it was designed with grado hp1 in mind and works well for rs1 as well.

as for dac, look for tda1543 nos dac kit. inexpensive and very music friendly, but don't skimp on the power supply.

http://www.fedde.nu/audio/nonoz3.html

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 51
really? well I haven't listened to that but I've read it was kind of weak. was hoping to be able to change headphones without changing the amplifier too.

I will keep that in mind but so far the other amp seems more interesting. haven't read much about the dynalo though.

thanks for the DAC suggestion too! prices in euro also. nice! kind of bothers me that I might have to order stuff from so far away, so this helps.
thanks!

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 51
This is just my experience, but I didn't like the RA-1 when I heard it with my RS-1s too much. It isn't bad, and it was better than I was expecting, but it didn't sound like a match made in heaven.

Also, I don't know how others feel, and you are obviously allowed to do as you please, but I would think it is bad form to straight up clone a commercial, in production, and probably copyrighted design, no matter how easy it is. That would be no different than someone opening up the Zana Deux, making schematics and offering them free to everyone. People would be pissed, and I don't think that the RA-1 should be an exception just because it is a simple amp or because they overcharge for it (which I believe they do).

Also, the RA-1 was not good with the other pairs that I tried.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 51
well those were the things I've read, that it was just "ok". I want to be blown away! since this really is an upgrade from my previous setup which was HD650 paired with an x-can v3. well, I was about to change to a speaker setup but then I changed my mind. but then they were already sold. so I've been stuck with HD555 for a while... so anything would actually be quite an upgrade...

but I kind of agree with you that it would be kinda cheap to copy someone elses idea. well it's not like it's worth the money to buy a new one but I wouldn't like it if I were new on the amp market and people would open up my things and then teach people for free how to build the exact same thing... but! that's another story.
I'm really happy people share their DIY builds with this community.

so yeah, currently I am looking for possibilities to build the CK^2 III.
so far the biggest problem seems to be soldering equipment... I have no idea what to look for, I almost forgot I don't have any anymore! but it should be able to fit into my budget... cause they're kinda cheap right?

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 51
I'm also interested the CK2III for use with my headphones (one which is the RS1). If all parts are easy to find inside europe (Sweden) it might be my first DIY projekt
smily_headphones1.gif
I know I know, the CK2III page says "CK²III is designed to be easy to build, but is not recommended as a first-time project for the beginner. ", but I would like to try anyway, I think I can manage it by working slowly.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 51
@Henmyr
It is pretty fine as a first time project, as long as you use the resources available to you. I had never even soldered before starting mine. Go slowly and just check your work to eliminate dumb errors. I think you'd be happy with it, and I think that it would be a big step up from the zero onboard amp, from what i have read.

@munchzilla
I completed my entire project with a 15W radioshack iron. I think that it cost about $10. There are a lot of reasons to go for a decent iron and whatnot, but you can make due with pretty much anything. Just make sure it is grounded! That seems like stupid advice but radioshack does sell an ungrounded iron. Why is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back