DIY amp for DT 880
Apr 19, 2010 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

opirox

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm new to this forum and the "head-fi-scene", so please forgive my "stupid" questions
smily_headphones1.gif

I am planning to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 880 (still not sure whether 880 PRO or 880 Ed. 2005 and wheter 32 or 250 ohms, but that's another issue
wink.gif
).

Unfortunately my budget is almost used up with the DT 880 and I guess I would have to save money for quite a while before I can afford an appropriate amp.

Therefore I would like to build one by myself. I am studying electrical engineering, so this should not be a problem. However, I don't know which amp I should tackle. My budget for this project is anyhing under 100$, preferably even under 50$
wink.gif

The amp should be portable and as a source I am going to use the amplifier of my loudspeakers (Teufel Concept B 200, a German manufacturer), which have a built-in external USB sound card. But from time to time I would also like to use my MacBook Pro and my iPhone. Therefore the amp should be let's say "semi-portable", i.e. battery powered.

I have done some research and right now, the CMoy looks pretty good to me (especially value for money wise). But there are so many others out there (Mini^3, etc.) and I really have no experience with headphone amps...

How good are these low budget DIY amps compared to professional ones? How much would a commercial amp cost if its performance is comparable to a e.g. 50$ CMoy?

If it is of any importance: I usually listen to rock/indie music, mostly british like Coldplay, Muse and Radiohead.

/edit: I have done some calculations and the Mini^3 would cost me around 100$ (shipping, all components and case included), the CMoy would be around 60$ (using the best components but without a case). What is the difference between those two? Is the Mini^3 a lot better than the CMoy?
Would you say that the additional investment pays off as I won't need another portable amp in future?

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 7
from what i've been able to gather in my short time here, you will be much better off with a Mini3.

some people will tell you that a cmoy is just a volume booster, others will tell you that if its built right it can sound great. however the mini3 is held in high regards, and if you can build it then thats what i would recommend

i'm in a similar situation as you, i'm currently using the 2005 dt770 250 ohm with a penguin caffeine ultra amp, and i'm thinking about selling it and getting a mini3 because of what everyone has been saying about. i'm going to try out another guys mini3 this weekend to make my final decision..

good luck with ur search

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 7
That's what I thought as well. It's just right at the limit with 100$. But if the mini3 is so good I probably won't need any other amp within the next x years (?).

I'm just curious: How much would I have to pay to get a portable amp with the same performance? Although I am studying EE building one would only make sense if I gain a lot performance by spending no additional money. Or let me put it this way: I would not build because I have so much fun doing it but because i want to have a superiour product in the end with the same amount of $$ spent.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by opirox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I thought as well. It's just right at the limit with 100$. But if the mini3 is so good I probably won't need any other amp within the next x years (?).

I'm just curious: How much would I have to pay to get a portable amp with the same performance? Although I am studying EE building one would only make sense if I gain a lot performance by spending no additional money. Or let me put it this way: I would not build because I have so much fun doing it but because i want to have a superiour product in the end with the same amount of $$ spent.

based on what i've read in my research about the mini3, buying anything with similar performance will cost you well over 200.

take a look at this portable amp review that Skylabd did, he reviews the mini3, and says this "The Mini3 can be bought for $125 completely built from Rockhopper audio. I understand MisterX may build them as well. For that price it represents an INCREDIBLE bargain. While I feel the Meier XXS offers better overall performance, even it costs $195. So the Mini3 is a VERY easy recommendation for someone wanting a very good, inexpensive amp."

he also ranks the mini3 at number 11 on his list, and the the next cheapest amp that is ranked higher costs 165..

here is a link to the review, i suggest reading through it, its very comprehensive and a great write up: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/r...mpared-214588/

hope that helps

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by opirox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah it does!
I feel a little embarassed I didn't find this thread. But thanks a lot, I think that eliminated all doubts and I'll go for the mini^3!

glad i could help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back