DIY amp ~$300 choices
Jan 27, 2002 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Monkey King

Head-Fier
Ok, I really need some advice. I would like to have a dedicated solid state headphone amp for $200-300. With this money, I know I can buy a commercial amp, but I think the money will also buy some very parts. I have read through the forums and there are simply too many choices. Can someone please give me some guidance?

My criteria: good with HD-600, able to work easily with crossfeed, solid state. The amp (if done right) should be close to/comparable/better than the Headphone Home/Max. If such a design is not possible at $300, please tell me so I can stop dreaming.

Thanks

Jan 28, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Maybe buy the Corda kit from Jan Meier for about $250. Unless you wanted to build something completely by yourself. The Corda popped in mind immediately after reading your criteria. It also has been compared in the range of the Headroom Cosmic at one headphone meet this past summer.

Jan 28, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Such a dream may be possible if you let go of that silly idea of restricting yourself to solid state
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 5
The idea of buiding a tube amp is very appealing. However, it seems a bit more involving that stuffing stuff on hansen boards, listening, and swapping components to see (hear) if somtehing's changed.
biggrin.gif

Can anybody comment on building something simple like the Earmax-clones on headwize. And how's the sound comparing to a Hansen CMOY?

Steven

Jan 29, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Do a search for posts by a member "ringtheorist". He posted a lot of pictures and wrote about his experience building the Earmax clone with modifications by Bruce Bender (circuit details in the HeadWize projects library).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back