DIY Aikido/WCF headphone amp
Jul 7, 2020 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fuzzroffe

100+ Head-Fier
Rebuilt my "Brute Force" headphone amp. It was originally a mu-follower with paralleled 6SN7s into paralleled 6BX7s and sounded very good with high impedance headphones, but I wanted something that could drive low impedances without transformers. I found a schematic for an Aikido front end driving a White cathode follower so I ripped out the old circuit, keeping the regulated 300V power supply, and just built it. So externally it's identical, with the same tubes, but with a completely different circuit underneath
smile.gif
IMG_6127.jpg

My 5Y3 was acting funny and not giving enough voltage so I put in a 5R4 instead. There's some noise when I get past 12 o'clock on the volume. I know there's a ground point I have to fix and I may have to re-run some wiring, unless the noise comes from the regulator tubes... So far it behaves good even with 32 ohm Grados. I have a couple of 6BL7's so I might put a 4PDT in to switch plate/cathode resistors for them.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks!
I just put in new output caps, got a pair of Kemet 330uF/350V to replace the old junk box 200V caps I had. They have less than 1/10th of the ESR so they should be a bit better, and I bypassed them with 2.2uF film caps. I have a pair of 10uF Solens too but it might get a bit cramped in there.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Very interested in seeing pics of the internals, as well!

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Awesome! Noise-free is what's most important!

Plus, I'll take classic DIY point to point wiring over PCB any day for cool factor.

I might have to look up the schematic for this and take a shot at it, myself :L3000:. I'm in the preliminary process of a fully-balanced 4-board Beta22 build and it's no joke!

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 10
More mods: I changed caps in the power supply, it should take the ripple down from 20mV to 8mV according to the PSUD simulation. It's probably overkill since it's before the regulator, but I had some better quality parts so I might as well use them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back