DIY Acoustic Tube Headset.(I need some help with balanced armature drivers.)
Sep 10, 2016 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lourendo

New Head-Fier
Hi there, Im working on a diy acoustic tube headset, The FBI style ones.  I use them at work with 2 way uhf radios and what is available is complete junk so Im going to make my own.

The design should be simple, i just need a transducer connected to a ear tube, a switch with a microphone in it, and the wires and trs assembly. 

The switch and microphone circuit is pretty basic but Ill take input if you're willing, i might go for a noise cancelling microphone and would appreciate any advice on component selection.

What i really need help with is the transducer, I think a balanced armature driver would be the best option for me.  I dont need any high fidelity acoustic performance, I just need reliable sound so I can hear the radio communication clearly.

Im getting lost in the specs for these armature drivers so i figured i would post here, you seem to be real pros at this stuff.

The headsets we use have an 8ohm impedance transducer.
//Edit. they are 220ohm impedance.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 3
Ok, I don't have much experience but I'll try.
On knowles site (BA manufacturer) they have a "guide" document containing all their BA's.
Look it through, some of them they recommend for radios and such.
http://www.knowles.com/eng/Products/Balanced-armature-receivers-and-speakers/Radio-communications
Or perhaps just write them - usually companies are glad to help!

About the mic + button I really can't help - sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back