DIY "A/B switch" gadget for quick headphone or source A/B-ing
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HereticArchitect

New Head-Fier
Hey all.
Here I share a not so good looking but vey fun gadget aimed at the A/B-ing delight.
It started as a project to save time on plugging and unplugging phones, but it has some other uses:

A: One source, two headphones (separated by channel). All you have to do is to swap the headphones on your head (I haven't figured out an automated way to do that. YET.
B: Two sources, one headphone. Very fun for DAC and amp comparisons and other purposes (DAP challenges etc.)
C: One source, two headphones, but using one cup of each headphone on each ear (dumb, but you can do that since channels are separated by independent switches)
D: The ability to leave the headphones always connected to the amp/receiver, but turned off.

Here is the result, made of out wood, and the schematics. It's in spanish; you can see translation below.
Best regards

(Canal izq= left channel
Canal der=right channel
Tierra=ground
Hacia=towards
Señal fuente=source signal)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 9
Some 3 way switches and some optical splitters. I can run 2 full setups ( amp+DAC ) to either 2 headphones or into 1 headphone. It's very eye opening to compare gear using the A/B method with little time between switches. All of my stuff can be found on Amazon for $90 or less for the entire setup.

The main switch:
3.5mm Audio Switch AB A B 1/8" Selector - Amazon $20 each

Toslink Splitter:
CAMWAY 3 Port SPDIF Toslink Digital Optical Audio Splitter Aluminum Alloy SPDIF Toslink 1 In 3 Out - $17 on Amazon

Various cabling:
RCA - RCA Cable x2
Toslink Cable x3
3.5mm - 3.5mm aux cable x3
All for under $30

I run the output from my PC via optical to the Toslink Splitter. I ran the 2 outputs from it to 2 different DAC's. I run those DAC's into 2 different amps and the amp outputs into a A/B Audio switch. These switches you can run in reverse so you get to input 2 devices to 1 output ( i.e. Headphone .)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Some 3 way switches and some optical splitters. I can run 2 full setups ( amp+DAC ) to either 2 headphones or into 1 headphone. It's very eye opening to compare gear using the A/B method with little time between switches. All of my stuff can be found on Amazon for $90 or less for the entire setup.

The main switch:
3.5mm Audio Switch AB A B 1/8" Selector - Amazon $20 each

Toslink Splitter:
CAMWAY 3 Port SPDIF Toslink Digital Optical Audio Splitter Aluminum Alloy SPDIF Toslink 1 In 3 Out - $17 on Amazon

Various cabling:
RCA - RCA Cable x2
Toslink Cable x3
3.5mm - 3.5mm aux cable x3
All for under $30

I run the output from my PC via optical to the Toslink Splitter. I ran the 2 outputs from it to 2 different DAC's. I run those DAC's into 2 different amps and the amp outputs into a A/B Audio switch. These switches you can run in reverse so you get to input 2 devices to 1 output ( i.e. Headphone .)
Sounds sweeeet!
Nice work, it's rare to see that kind of setup.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Piggybacking on this thread, I made a 4-way SE switch box over the weekend, entirely from scratch.

Parts list as follows:

Box Enclosures B5-080 - $12
Lorin CK1460 Rotary Switch - $7
5x Neutrik NMJ3HF-S 1/4" Jack - $5 total
Apem 410122B14 1/4" Know - $2
5' Neotech UP-OCC Solid 20awg - $8 total

Pretty easy project, but my suggestion would be...bigger enclosure lol. This 5" enclosure was veryyyyy tight with 4 jacks and the switch. Made it twice as hard to work in. For drilling out the enclosure, make sure you use a good clamp, cutting fluid and a step drill bit. Step drill was a big help.

20200830_161435.jpg
20200830_180754.jpg
20200831_000039.jpg

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Looks good, that dial is a cool touch. How does the "switchability" work? (in/out)

This one is 3 pole, 4 position switch; therefore, we are getting 4 variable and 1 common. So, in practice, the dial controls 1 on/4 out or 4 in/1 out.

So it's good for both 4-way A/Bing of headphones with one amp/source, or 4 amps/sources with one headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back