DIY 5.1 headset...help
Jan 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JSounds

New Head-Fier
I know most of the users here are against multi driver 5.1 headsets. I agree that pretty much any 5.1 set that can be bought is pretty well junk, but since 5.1 will be my primary use of this headset I'd like to build, I think I want to go that route. Dolby Headphone can sound great, but I think with a properly built multi driver setup, it could sound even better.

What I need help with is driver selection. I have two 5.1 headsets(see pics below) that I can tear apart and steal drivers, but unfortunately I have very little knowledge of headphone drivers. If anyone could identify the speakers in the pictures below and recommend if they might be decent or not that would be most helpful. To me, they look like trash, but who knows.

If they are trash, does anyone know of a place to buy good drivers from? or any good clip on's/etc of varying sizes that I could buy and steal the drivers from? I don't necessarily want to spend a fortune to begin with(in case I fail miserably at this, although I don't think I will) maybe $150-200 for drivers + amp(s).

I'd like to do open enclosure for all the drivers minus sub. I've got how to build it all planned and mapped out, just need the parts.

Second part: is there a stupid simple decent amp for 5.1 that would take analog inputs(ie from computer)? Something like the fiio e5 maybe?

Pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110331330368676756151/albums/5694287126775691137?authkey=COjxiZiswMrsTQ

btw, the headsets in the pics are the Tritton AX Pro and the Turtle Beach x-52. Both plastic pieces of **** that broke within months. The Tritton AX Pro is still unfortunately in use, hot glued back together, although I don't use the crappy Dolby Digital box that creates massive amounts of pops/clicks/hiss. I use the analog plugs, which works about a million times better.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Astro Mix-Amp.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 7
I think he's saying you should just skip the 5.1 and use regular headphones with the Astro Mixamp. Quite honestly a good pair of open headphones and the Astro Mixamp is really good for virtual surround sound. Many professional gamers do use that set up, so it doesn't sacrifice quality at all. 
That's just my advice. If you want to go your route you're going to want to trash those drivers unless you want really bad quality sound. You probably need a 30mm driver for center, and small drivers from IEMs for something for the front and back.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Sorry, I want an amp that has analog 5.1 inputs as well as analog 5.1 outputs. Basically 3 2 channel amps built into one, this may not exist...

I'm not sure an analog 5.1 input exists?
The Astro Mix-Amp comes with a digital optical input (which can carry a 5.1 audio signal) and 2.0 analog input.

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I think he's saying you should just skip the 5.1 and use regular headphones with the Astro Mixamp. Quite honestly a good pair of open headphones and the Astro Mixamp is really good for virtual surround sound. Many professional gamers do use that set up, so it doesn't sacrifice quality at all. 
That's just my advice. If you want to go your route you're going to want to trash those drivers unless you want really bad quality sound. You probably need a 30mm driver for center, and small drivers from IEMs for something for the front and back.

Ya, gaming actually isn't going to be #1 5.1 use although it will be used for that a bit.

That's pretty well what I was figuring. I was looking at a lot of the drivers at http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/audio-products/speakers/720966 but not sure about the quality on those...seems awfully cheap...

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 7
Well it being cheap certainly doesn't make it very appealing. Rip some drivers off from a cheap but well received supra aural headphone, and the get some cheap but still good IEMs to match with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back