DIY 1more quad + TRN BT20 TWS
Apr 20, 2020 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

quixfz2

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! after lurking around for years and learning stuff i think i have something quite nice to show. maybe the mods can move it to the DIY forum

i had the sennheiser momentus tws for a while, but never was happy with them. very bad fit, i had to use my own tips to get a good seal. but it was still slowly slipping out after a while. the soundquality wasn't satisfying, too bright and after lowering the highs enough with the eq, the lows were too much... battery life was just terrible... sold them after 2-3 weeks

after ordering the TRN BT20 for my se846, hoping that the background noise wouldn't be too noticable (it was...), i was looking around for other uses for the TRN.

after finding this thread and ordering the mmcx sockets, i had the idea that i could just cut the cables of the earphones and solder them directly to the TRN BT20!! which worked out perfectly!!! it was better then the sennheiser in nearly every way:

+ cheaper, especially if you already have the earphones (can be done with every earphones where the cable goes over the ear)
+ better sound quality
+ much better battery life. doesnt consume battery when off.
+ much better fit
+ easy to charge (cheap magnetic micro usb plugs from aliexpress)
- controls (only play/pause and power off)

Steps:
1. open up the bt20. the back cover is glued in with ca. gently push a knife into the slot around the cover to break the glue and remove the cover.
2. unsolder the old cables from the bt20. then rip them out of the case. i used a drill bit by hand to remove any remaining rubber of the cable.
3. for the first test, cut the 1more cables much longer, so you can do a first test and after that do the final cut. slide them into the BT20, remove the isolation and solder the cables. the solderpads have the polarity written on the pcb. they are very small, be careful. they can probably lift from the pcb if heated too much or pulling mechanicaly, which can be difficult to fix... the copper-colored 1more cable is minus/gnd, the other cable is plus (one side was black, i think the other was blue).
4. put the back cover on. they hold fine without any glue.

been using them daily for over 2 months. they work and sound great and are 100% reliable.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back