DIY +/- 12V recommendations?
Apr 18, 2006 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ashpool

Head-Fier
I'm looking into building a +/- 12V power supply to replace the wall wart for a phono preamp that I've had lying around (a Grado PH-1). I've been pretty happy with the STEPS I built for my Millett Hybrid, but the STEPS only has a positive output. Are there any good DIY designs for a dual-output power supply? I'd prefer something that I can order PCBs for, just as a convenience thing, but I'm willing to wire it up point-to-point if it comes down to it.

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 14
You can also use a Dynahi PSU for +-12V. It was designed for high precision voltage tracking. With proper scaling of parts, you should be able to make one that outputs +-12V at a reasonable cost. Perhaps not as cheaply as a Tread, but definitely as cheap as building 2 Steps.

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickP
Go to: http://members.shaw.ca/roma/ and search for 'dual tracking regulator'.

Cool page. It's like a simplifed version of the Dynalo PS, I may have to give it a try sometime.
Thanks for the link.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 14
dual treads are the easiest/cheapest way to do it without building your own PSU on protoboard. The TREAD also has been built and tested 1000 times over with excelent results. I use a dual tread config for my dynalo. I'm very pleased with the results.

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 14
I think I may try to build the Dynahi PSU. I was really unimpressed by the sound of the TREAD, and building two STEPS seems kind of wasteful (and a little boring, since I've already built them for other projects). Is there a good resource I should go to for a BOM, sourcing parts, getting PCBs, etc?

Also, thanks for everybody's help.

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashpool
I think I may try to build the Dynahi PSU. I was really unimpressed by the sound of the TREAD, and building two STEPS seems kind of wasteful (and a little boring, since I've already built them for other projects). Is there a good resource I should go to for a BOM, sourcing parts, getting PCBs, etc?

Also, thanks for everybody's help.

Are you serious? How did the sound of the TREAD unimpress you?

Anyway, check out djgardner's site for info on the Dynahi PSU, http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/

Apr 24, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipinder
Are you serious? How did the sound of the TREAD unimpress you?

Anyway, check out djgardner's site for info on the Dynahi PSU, http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/

To each their own eh Skip?

Apr 24, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashpool
the TREAD ... sounded a little harsh. This was with the TREAD and a Millett Hybrid.

I'll concur with this. However, you can fix it by removing the bridge and using some discrete diodes -- probably before the board. For low current applications, I like mbr1100's. For high current, see the steps docs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back