Dividend Time Again, What To Buy?
Oct 10, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #16 of 21
AKAR,

This probably sounds a bit screwy but I would dearly love to work on the Alaskan Crab Fishery from the Aleutians.

2 seasons of work on there and i'd never have to work again. I think the crab fishery is open for aroun 8-10 weeks a year? and is possibly the most dangerous profession a man could ever take up and that includes mining and diving.

Mick
Sound As Ever

Oct 10, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #17 of 21
You do not want to work as a crabber in the Bering Sea.
You can earn about $60,000 for three months of work.
But, according to OSHA, it is the most dangerous job in the country.

I had a friend that worked on a fishing boat in the Bering Sea, he did not recommend it.
It is horrible, words can't really describe it.
It's not worth it.

Oct 10, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 21
hmmm, I'll have to read up on this crabbing thing. $60K for 3 months work?
eek.gif
for crabbing? What does this involve? Forgive a question from an uninformed 16 year kid living in the east. . .

Oct 11, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 21
I believe it involves risking your life the entire time. Dying in moments without warning and working almost continuously the whole time. Boats disappear instantly without warning. Isn’t it some of the nastiest ocean in the entire world? Freezing cold, nasty ocean and total exhaustion?

Continuously chipping ice off the vessel in horrendous storms so the boat doesn’t capsize.

How long can you last if you fall overboard? Like 3 seconds, I know I’m exaggerating because it’s really less? Besides they wouldn’t be able to find you anyways.

Never been there, and never wanted to go.

Oct 11, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 21
braillediver pretty much summed it up.

I will add two more bonuses though.

1. You can't quit if you don't like it. You are on a boat in the middle of the Bering Sea.

2. When you are in port, you are in Dutch Harbor, AK.
Look on a map and you will see why that is a bad thing.

Oct 11, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #21 of 21
Good lord, I've been reading about this crab harvesting up there:
eek.gif

Near 100% injury rate! Basically, if you work there for any amount of time, you WILL get hurt. You WILL break stuff. Wow, we have organizations like PETA, but no one knows what's happening up there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back