DITA Audio Project M Discussion Thread
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #47 of 96
Not to be super negative, but I got mine in this afternoon and after maybe a half hour of listening to it it, I'm kind of underwhelmed? They sound clean, though the overall stage seems more centralized than some reviews indicate, and it could be a lack of midrange that isn't doing it for me. I've been A/Bing it with the MIROAK-II and by comparison the Project M doesn't seem like it shows off its DD as much, or rather the former is more "musical" to use the word. Timbre is much better to me on the MIROAK-II (and TS-316, which I also have), just going off of what I'd consider to be good timbre. Some reviews say it's not super great, some like it, so that could just be really subjective. A couple tracks were teetering on being too sibilant at times, namely off of Caroline Polachek's latest album as an example.

For reference, I am using my Apple dongle and iPhone (DAPs just never do it for me), but should I really need anything more considering it's pretty easy to drive? I'd been looking at the W4 and DC Elite if I wanted to just go all out on that front, but I can't fathom spending decent money on one of those and getting much of any real, quantifiable improvements. I listed it because I'm considering just moving it since I feel like if I was going to like it more, it would have happened straight away.

For some positives, the build quality seems superb for both the shells and cable, and the fit is like a custom which basically never happens for anything I ever use. Using my own Final Type E tips in the smallest size (just so I don't use the special ones it comes with), they're super secure. It's the one thing that makes me want to keep it, because when I put them in it reminded me of the EXT, but a bit more comfortable.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #48 of 96
Not to be super negative, but I got mine in this afternoon and after maybe a half hour of listening to it it, I'm kind of underwhelmed? They sound clean, though the overall stage seems more centralized than some reviews indicate, and it could be a lack of midrange that isn't doing it for me. I've been A/Bing it with the MIROAK-II and by comparison the Project M doesn't seem like it shows off its DD as much, or rather the former is more "musical" to use the word. Timbre is much better to me on the MIROAK-II (and TS-316, which I also have), just going off of what I'd consider to be good timbre. Some reviews say it's not super great, some like it, so that could just be really subjective. A couple tracks were teetering on being too sibilant at times, namely off of Caroline Polachek's latest album as an example.

For reference, I am using my Apple dongle and iPhone (DAPs just never do it for me), but should I really need anything more considering it's pretty easy to drive? I'd been looking at the W4 and DC Elite if I wanted to just go all out on that front, but I can't fathom spending decent money on one of those and getting much of any real, quantifiable improvements. I listed it because I'm considering just moving it since I feel like if I was going to like it more, it would have happened straight away.

For some positives, the build quality seems superb for both the shells and cable, and the fit is like a custom which basically never happens for anything I ever use. Using my own Final Type E tips in the smallest size (just so I don't use the special ones it comes with), they're super secure. It's the one thing that makes me want to keep it, because when I put them in it reminded me of the EXT, but a bit more comfortable.
I personally really like it with the L&P W4.

It allows drivers the Project M beautifully. As they do benefit from more power.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #49 of 96

Change the cable for a copper one just. Also try a warmer pairing device. I am very happy with it as I knew what to expect and it sounds great with cable swap and my lotoo paw S2. I am actually surprised with the sound quality, cristal clear sound and when the bass is called, it is snap, fast and precise. It is all about preferences I guess.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #50 of 96

Don't know if you subscribe to the "burn-in" club but I find quite a noticeable improvement burning in for over 100hrs. Try that (doesn't cost you anything but time) and afterwards do the comparison and make up your mind if you still like it or not.
I agree about the fit, feels like customs and provides fantastic isolation.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #51 of 96
Don't know if you subscribe to the "burn-in" club but I find quite a noticeable improvement burning in for over 100hrs. Try that (doesn't cost you anything but time) and afterwards do the comparison and make up your mind if you still like it or not.
I agree about the fit, feels like customs and provides fantastic isolation.

I generally don't but I also don't really know whether to believe powerful amplification will do all that much either. I'm sort of picky where if I have to use a dongle I want it to be light and not kill my already meager battery, and the W4 seems nice but it's pricy. I could try that, but I don't want to be out a lot if it doesn't really do anything. Note that I really don't think it's a bad IEM or anything, certainly even above average overall, but it feels like it's about right for the price point relative to other recent IEMs in that bracket. It does have an excellent fit, almost a little too tight in a way. I'm surprised.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #53 of 96
I am listening to Metallica 72 Seasons album now..... Man this thing hits like a planar but with a perfect DD timbre and great dynamics.... holy kick drums :)
Nice. How are you driving them?

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #54 of 96
Any comparison with Pilgrim?

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #56 of 96
The asking price for this is a bargain. I don't say that lightly - the product is just really good, and I got the pleasure of a conversation with Desmond, one of the founders of DITA Audio. Hearing about the manufacturing process, and the research & development challenges DITA faced to produce the Project M, I genuinely am not sure if they will profit off this product. I will not recount too much from that conversation here because my memory can't do justice to him and his team's herculean efforts - if you meet him in person, or if you are a journalist interviewing him, this is something worth asking about. I think you'll find that conversation extremely interesting and inspiring.
Just came across this interview, if it hasn’t been shared before.

Ordered my Proj M from Zep! Waiting for Ninjavan to pick it up and deliver it probably in the next few days~

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #57 of 96
Just got my hands on mine. Out of the box, off the 1ZM2, they are a little peaky with female vocals, almost but not sibilant. Shall wait and see if some use and burn-in helps. A pity that I don't have any cables that would fit without having the prongs sticking out exposed. Have had only 2hrs with them last night before bedtime. Shall get used to them on the walkman first before switching over to the 320Max and see how they do together.

That said, MJ's Thriller album sounds FANTASTIC on the Project M! I'm very happy with the soundstage. The bass is present, and can be EQ to lift the sub-bass if one wishes to, (they EQ quite well), but I will use them without EQ for now. At this price-point in an audiophile market where $2k is now mid-tier only, I'm very happy with this release by Dita, and hope that they would continue to release products that punch above their weight!

Their TOTL releases are still priced a little too out of reach for me to swallow though haha

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #58 of 96

Dita Project M sounds better on better sources. If driven properly, it sounds really good won't lose to much more expensive iems imo.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #59 of 96
On paper it would match well with N7

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #60 of 96
Just got my hands on mine. Out of the box, off the 1ZM2, they are a little peaky with female vocals, almost but not sibilant. Shall wait and see if some use and burn-in helps. A pity that I don't have any cables that would fit without having the prongs sticking out exposed. Have had only 2hrs with them last night before bedtime. Shall get used to them on the walkman first before switching over to the 320Max and see how they do together.

That said, MJ's Thriller album sounds FANTASTIC on the Project M! I'm very happy with the soundstage. The bass is present, and can be EQ to lift the sub-bass if one wishes to, (they EQ quite well), but I will use them without EQ for now. At this price-point in an audiophile market where $2k is now mid-tier only, I'm very happy with this release by Dita, and hope that they would continue to release products that punch above their weight!

Their TOTL releases are still priced a little too out of reach for me to swallow though haha
Yup, I'm enjoying mine too on WM1ZM2, sounds damn good for its price even outperform many more expensive iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back