Distortion with Smart Volume on Creative Vision:M?
Apr 29, 2006 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

InertKinesis

Head-Fier
Does anybody know how much, if any, distortion results from using the Smart Volume feature on the ZV:M? I've tried to do direct comparisons just by ear, but my ears aren't that attuned to say for sure. I think it sounds a little muddy but I'm not really sure.

Anybody have any technical data/tried it with better ears?
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
ZVM distorts fact! - Man I got hung drawn and quatered on this site for saying this! Just about still alive to tell the tale!

I guess I have crap hearing then
confused.gif

Excuse while I toss my gear into the trash...
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

ZVM distorts fact! - Man I got hung drawn and quatered on this site for saying this!

I wouldn't take it personally Veggie, it's just that that's a common reaction to statements that are dead wrong.
biggrin.gif

Personally, I don't bother with the volume management features on any of the players, haven't found any that work anywhere near as well as simply using MP3Gain.

May 1, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
ZVM distorts fact! - Man I got hung drawn and quatered on this site for saying this! Just about still alive to tell the tale!

Are you ever going to step up to the plate and release this fancy famous (perhaps fake?!) vision:m firmware?

You will be back at school next week so we are all expecting something...if not, prepared to be flamed...

LIP
basshead.gif

May 1, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lip
if not, prepared to be flamed...

when does that start? because i had thought that had already happened. a lot. aparently you know better?

you are the only one who keeps bringing it up. everyone else has let it go. either it was fake, or he had an experimental firmware (not ready for release) that someone got in trouble for and he decided he wouldn't make it worse by spreading it. either way, its not here. he has already taken a lot of crap for it.

May 1, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 10
I have two main sources for my mp3 files and they have ended up at different levels. I may eventually mp3gain everything (best IMO)...but for now I use the smart volume 100% of the time.

So far I have noticed the following:

Overall volume output is lower, using E4s I have no issue I was routinely at 3 out of 25 before for volume...

no noticable affect on battery life

ok the biggie distortion...nothing that I can notice, maybe some extreme A-B could reveal something I don't know it is more than acceptable if there is anything at all.
*There is one caveat. Certain tracks have a sortof pop noise right in the beginning, anyone else get this?

May 2, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 10
No pop noises or distortion with smart volume here. Personally I think it works decently, but it's no miracle. Still get the occasional jump in volume, since it doesn't boost volume for softer tracks, and only nerfs the louder ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back