Distortion with HD600's
Aug 12, 2005 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
Got a pair of refurb HD 600's from AA. Have about 75 hours on them. At first listen they seem to be very distorted at times. It has gotten better after 75 hours but some stuff is still unlistenable. Just finished listening to a Mappleshade sampler that has a couple of tracks with some dirty sax and a lot of cymbals. Unlistenable. But then there is some acoustic guitar and vocal track that is just incredible. Is this normal? Need more burn in? Am I just hearing the distortion that's on the disc/recording?

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Thats very odd. Can you be more specific about the distortion. I noticed nothing I would call distortion form my hd650's new. Are both drivers sounding distorted? It may be your source or if you're using them unamped perhaps. I really would compair the highs with something well recorded to rule out the chance that it is the recording. The sax and percusion may be clipping the mic wich would account for your problem. I wish you luck however.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 8
The 600s are very acurate phones.I would have to say the distortion is in your source or what ever music your playing.My 600s are very clear and crisp sounding.
600smile.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 8
It's surprising what you hear from the 600/650's. They pick up every nuance so that any errors in recording (More common than people think) are easily heard. Likely to be a poor source if it is not happening with other recordings.

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Mapleshade recordings are usually pretty well done from the ones I've heard. I would think a sampler might present the cream of the crop. If you're hearing distortion in the upper midrange or treble with the sax and cymbals, yet hearing midrange guitar and voice clearly, I suppose it's possible you've got blown drivers...

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Mapleshade recordings are usually pretty well done from the ones I've heard. I would think a sampler might present the cream of the crop. If you're hearing distortion in the upper midrange or treble with the sax and cymbals, yet hearing midrange guitar and voice clearly, I suppose it's possible you've got blown drivers or damaged membranes...

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 8
My current set up is a Marantz 8260 cd/sacd player thru a Rega Ear head phone amp. I listen to a lot of Blue Note Jazz cd's most of which was recorded in the 50's and 60's. I also have a pair of HD555 and another Marantz cd player that I have listened to the phones thru. The 555's don't distort nearly as much but it is still there to some degree on some music. The only constant is the amp. I have a JMT Audio Pimeta Home amp on the way. Anyway some tracks on the Mapleshade sampler sound great but the ones with noticeable distortion played thru speakers really distort thru the 600's. More listening and testing with various discs is indicated. New amp will be here next week as well. Still don't have a lot of hours on either set of phones.

Aug 12, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Even on modern recordings, distorion can rear its ugly head. More likely the phones are playing what is being fed to them.

If it disappears on other recordings, I would say it's the source but if it is always when you turn up the volume or on a certain type of sound then it could be the drivers.

Piano is often a giveaway for distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back