Distortion when playing CD with Cute Battery
Jan 16, 2008 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SteenWinther

New Head-Fier
Howdy All

I have experienced a weird problem that I hope you good people can help me understand and possibly rectify:

When playing a particular CD [Buddha-Bar IV Disk 2] on my DVD player connected to Cute Battery II via Audio Out (RCA) I experience tremendous distortion of loud passages - sounds exactly like a 1970s barbed-wire guitar module - TOTALLY unbearable. The distortion is not dependent on volume control or external gain switch settings - i.e. it is present at all listening levels.

The odd thing is that this problem only exists with this particular CD. All other CDs and DVDs I have listened to are OK....?
confused.gif

I have isolated the problem to the Cute Amp, because:
1) An alternative DVD player gives same problem (I don't own a CD player)
2) The CD plays fine on computer and rips perfectly
3) Active speakers connected directly to the DVD sounds fine.
4) Problem exists with all headphones

My best guess is, that the Cute amp is being fed too strong an input signal that makes it clip - but if this is the case - I simply can't understand why it doesn't happen with other CDs? Is it possible that this CD has been mastered to provide a higher than standard volume level? Can I lower the input level gain in the amp?

Any thoughts...?

Best regards
Steen

Feb 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 2
I received a replacement PCB from the good guys at Firestone Audio in Taiwan this morning which solved the problem. Distortion gone! [Now the Buddah-Bar music almost sounds good
wink.gif
]

I am happy! Can highly recommend the Cute products with this kind of customer service.

Thanks,
Steen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back