Distortion on A500s
Apr 24, 2004 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Deja Vu

Head-Fier
As some of you know, I've recently purchased a pair of A500s. They only have around 25-30 hours of burn-in yet, and I don't think I ever did anything that could "hurt" the drivers.

However, I get an annoying distortion when I turn the volume higher than, say, 80%. I don't have a headphone amp, and I'm using a Sony D-EJ955 PCDP. Is it the PCDP's crappy output what's causing this, or is there some other problem?

Thanks,

Apr 24, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 8
When I had my A900, I experinced some clipping too at modest volume... But's running off my laptop's crappy AC`97 sound processor or something like that... It runs fine with better source and it just keep getting louder and louder as you turn up the volume without any distortion/clipping and the sound is loud not harsh-loud as with other headphones and some speakers.

Apr 24, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 8
bangraman: I don't use any bass assist, and there's no problem at lower volumes.

D-EJ915: I don't recall hearing any distortion/clipping with other headphones, could it be the combination of a crappy output & high (64 Ohms) impedance?

Zuerst: In contradiction with your experience, I get no distortion through my laptop's headphone output (AC97 here, too), probably because it has a more powerful output than my PCDP...

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Vu
bangraman: I don't use any bass assist, and there's no problem at lower volumes.

D-EJ915: I don't recall hearing any distortion/clipping with other headphones, could it be the combination of a crappy output & high (64 Ohms) impedance?

Zuerst: In contradiction with your experience, I get no distortion through my laptop's headphone output (AC97 here, too), probably because it has a more powerful output than my PCDP...

Hmmm... musta been my crappy downloaded 128kbs mp3 than...
redface.gif

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 8
^ No distortion/clipping on 128kbps AACs purchased from iTMS either...

Anyway, I believe it's the PCDP's output...

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Vu
^ No distortion/clipping on 128kbps AACs purchased from iTMS either...

Anyway, I believe it's the PCDP's output...

I guess that was just a poorly encoded or ripped track that I was listening to then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back