Distortion of Sound Documentary
Jul 11, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 6
A more cynical person would point out that this film is funded by Harman, which just happens to sell a product called Clari-Fi that claims to improve the sound of compressed music files.

Hmm, that's sort of an interesting coincidence, isn't it?

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Great documentary noblemff!!!, the phrase who makes a summary is this one: "looking at a Van Gogh through filter glasses". :D . On the other hand I don't care about Clari-Fi Ad., because we love a good recording well reproduced.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 6
I agree billybob-jcv, and to some extent it is also marketing Harman, but somebody took initiative!

Also one thing that is kept away is that  audio recordings which are poorly mastered and mixed fail to break the barrier of hardware to give transparent audio even at 192/24.

Anyways the video is good with artists like Hans Zimmer, A R Rahman, Quincy Jones and others.

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 6
Jul 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 6
  Here are Tyll's thoughts about the film:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/its-masters-damit

"This whole "bigger is better" message to the general public is very misleading...and I think it's going to come back and bite the music industry in the ass if they don't start delivering a clear, true, and balanced description of the real problem."

This wholesale jump onto the hi-rez bandwagon by the industry is little more than the execs looking for a new way to sell the same old music. They made us buy our favorite movies over and over again, working video sales to death with VHS - SUPER VHS - HI-8 -- DVD  - BLU RAY -- 4K, and now they want to do the same thing with music sensing that "hi-rez" has caught on as a buzzword. As Tyll says, it's the mastering or the original recording that counts most. I actually find the progression of video more valid as few people can deny seeing a difference between VHS and Blu Ray. But only a fraction of the population has the equipment or the trained ears to hear the difference between a 320 mp3 and a Hi-rez recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back