Distortion issue!!!
Dec 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

x5_spoonman

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I am getting distortion with my iems with certain songs. The songs almost all involve high gain guitars.

The problem is that the distortion only occurs in the left channel! What!

I have used everything from high end customs to budget earphones, and there is not difference. I also tried different sound sources.

Can someone test out whether they experience distortion this song:

ISIS - So Did We

Distortion is only in the left channel.

Happens with other songs, but I just gave 1 example.

Thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hi guys
I am getting distortion with my iems with certain songs. The songs almost all involve high gain guitars.
The problem is that the distortion only occurs in the left channel! What!
I have used everything from high end customs to budget earphones, and there is not difference. I also tried different sound sources.
Can someone test out whether they experience distortion this song:
ISIS - So Did We
Distortion is only in the left channel.
Happens with other songs, but I just gave 1 example.
Thanks

one word - bad recording quality... you'll be amazed how much music has that. In almost every recording of acoustic music, there is some kind of distortion in different levels. sometimes they are noticeable, sometimes not. sometimes they just make you cringe XD

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
one word - bad recording quality... you'll be amazed how much music has that. In almost every recording of acoustic music, there is some kind of distortion in different levels. sometimes they are noticeable, sometimes not. sometimes they just make you cringe XD

As much as I like Linkin Park, their music can get sibilant as screw with sibilant-prone headphones like the B2s. Post-rock has the issue with the distortion or lower details in the music, you don't get too much detail when it comes to the electric guitars. I assume you would have to get "forgiving" IEMs for these types of music, or maybe a pair of Grado headphones.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 8
But it almost exclusively occurs in the left channel, very strange
And I also seem to have no issues with distortion with Linkin Park :p

That just means that the song is recorded that way - with distortion in only one channel. I also thought my left speaker was blown when I listened to a certain classical recording of Schubert...

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 8
But it almost exclusively occurs in the left channel, very strange
And I also seem to have no issues with distortion with Linkin Park :p

Ran into the same thing in the left ear only on a song. I sent the following PM to my buddy:
[crap]... just heard some gawdawful distortion on adele "one and only" on 21 album. It happens at 4:42 into the song. Do you have that CD? Can you pop it in and see if you get the same distortion? Now I feel like running through the entire line to figure out what is broke........

It happens. I was pretty shocked that it would exist in an artist's recording that leans so heavily on vocals to let one slip by like that but it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back