Distortion from Laptop (D5000 and SR80)- Amp/DAC Combo Rec
Aug 7, 2009 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
I get a noticeable amount of distortion, especially in the highs and bass, from my onboard audio, and I'm looking to find a amp/DAC combo to remedy this. I know I need an amp, particularly with the D5000's, because I have to turn the preamp on in iTunes just to get the volume up...which of course doesn't help my distortion and noise problem :/

A few questions that are really embarrassing for me:

*I really don't know that much about how amps and DAC's work together. I know what they do of course, but can I just have a DAC and listen?
*Or if I get a DAC do I need an amp too?
*And my audio out on my laptop is 3.5mm, and I'm confused how that is SPDIF.

I'd really appreciate some recommendations in the sub $500 area for a combo. Also, I can do two separate units if that'll provide better performance. In that case please keep the recommendations below $650 for both
wink.gif

Thanks everyone,
Steve

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 5
s/pdif can be in electrical form too. or sometimes, it's a combo jack, where it has both the LED output and the electrical connections in the same jack.

You'd probably do well with an audio gd compass, that thing can take inputs from the most common sources.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few questions that are really embarrassing for me:

*I really don't know that much about how amps and DAC's work together. I know what they do of course, but can I just have a DAC and listen? no
*Or if I get a DAC do I need an amp too? yes
*And my audio out on my laptop is 3.5mm, and I'm confused how that is SPDIF. if this is the headphone output, it will not feed a DAC.Most common digital output is USB which would output the digital signal to the DAC or DAC/amp combo.

Thanks everyone,
Steve

You don't state if you want this to be portable or desktop. The iBasso DAC/amp is popular for portable. There are always good deals in the FS forum...like this Meier DAC/amp---> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ac-amp-435759/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back