Distorted highs with the Sony Sony DVP-NS500V?
Aug 29, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd

I am wondering why the NS500V is still listed on Sony's site for purchase if the stock is really gone. Are you guys sure it isn't just Best Buy that won't be selling them any longer? If the stock was gone, I would think that Sony would be the first site to no longer have them for sale.
confused.gif

good question. the guys at best buy wouldnt sell me the display model because they said they "aren't sure if they'll get more in stock, and if that happens, they need to keep the demo model"... there was only one left at circuit city, but the salesman said that the product code for the player does not indicate that it is being discontinued. however, at hifi buys, there was only one model for sale, a display model that "has to go". (the guy said he'd sell it to me for $100 but wanted to charge me $180 for the 5 year service plan alone. this was just after he finished giving me the sales pitch that "all cd players sound the same," so i decided to spend my money elsewhere...

anyway, my point is that maybe they are not being discontinued by sony, but stores seem to be selling out and do not seem very interested in restocking.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

the sony may sound "a little too detailed"

could that be because there are too much of them? It's important to remember that too much treble can be misinterpreted as being detailed. . . and you said that it becomes "less detailed" with burn in. . . that could be the highs mellowing out a bit.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
could that be because there are too much of them? It's important to remember that too much treble can be misinterpreted as being detailed. . . and you said that it becomes "less detailed" with burn in. . . that could be the highs mellowing out a bit.

yeah, it could be that there is too much treble. in other words, as i said before, the treble is "a little too predominant".

i did NOT say that it becomes "less detailed" with burn-in, i said almost exactly what you seem to think... that there is a "pretty significant mellowing" as the player gets more burn-in time.

also notice that i put the phrase "a little too detailed" in quotation marks in recognition of the fact that the overabundance of treble is often mistaken as "detail".

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

the highs on my NS500V were a lot more... "noticeable" during the first 20 hours of burn-in

Quote:

the sony may sound "a little too detailed" for some people during the first day of burn-in,

Basically, my point is as follows:

You say the player may be a bit too detailed during the first day or so. I said that you may be misinterpretting the more "noticeable" highs as detail. So as it burned in, the highs became less noticeable, and it may have subtracted from "percieved" detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back