Distorted audio when using multiple monitors
May 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DanishPrince

New Head-Fier
Hello. 

I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to audio so I figured I would try getting some help on this forum.

I have a PC with a main monitor connected with DVI and I have a HDMI cable that is connected to my Denon receiver which also runs my projector. When the receiver is turned off and my audio runs trough my headset the audio is perfect but when the receiver is turned on and the audio goes trough my speakers the audio become scratchy and distorted. 
When the source of the audio is in focus on the screen (ex. Spotify is in focus or VLC) then it rarely occurs but every time I move the source to the background it becomes impossible to hear anything.
When using VLC the audio is only distorted in the beginning but then stops as long as that window in in focus on the PC. 

I have connected the HDMI to my laptop to see if the problem happens because of the receiver but no problems when using the laptop. I have tried switching the HDMI cable but didn't help either.

I'm currently using Windows 7 but it also happened when the PC were running Windows 8.

Do anyone here knows why this happens and what I can do to fix it? 

May 18, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 12
So just to be clear, the sound ONLY distorts when the focus is on another window other than the media player?

May 19, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 12
Ok, so the problem is either the GFX HDMI functionality, which could be a driver issue or an actual fault in the card or compatibility with the rest of your hardware/software, OR the receiver itself (less likely).

Since you've already ruled out the receiver by connecting to your laptop it is clearly a GFX card problem.

From the start it sounded like a hardware problem to me, since the newest and most powerful GFX cards quite commonly have teething problems or compatibility issues with other pieces of hardware.... or it could just be a faulty unit. If it's a brand new card, maybe you need to consider getting a replacement card under warranty. 
Also browse through some PC hardware forums. Maybe someone else has had the same problem already. 

Otherwise maybe just drop Nvidia customer support a line and they should be able to determine if its a hardware fault or a compatibility issue.

May 19, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #11 of 12
The card is about 6 months old at this point but I didn't connect it to the receiver until 3 months ago so I don't know if the problem would have been there from the start. I have checked trough several PC forums without finding a solution hence why I tried on this site :)
I will try contacting Nvidia to see if it is common problem for their cards.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me! :)

May 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #12 of 12
The card is about 6 months old at this point but I didn't connect it to the receiver until 3 months ago so I don't know if the problem would have been there from the start. I have checked trough several PC forums without finding a solution hence why I tried on this site :)
I will try contacting Nvidia to see if it is common problem for their cards.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me! :)

Nvidia is probably not the one to contact. You should definitely get in touch with the card manufacturer since they implemented the Nvidia chipset in their card, and these implementations can (do) vary a good bit from the standard implementation that Nvidia makes available for each chipset. What brand card is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back