Distant Worlds II: more music from Final Fantasy
May 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

chronomitch

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure how many people here are FF fans, but I thought I would give you guys a heads up on a new orchestral album that was just released: Distant Worlds II: more music from Final Fantasy.

The first Distant Worlds album was already superb, but I like the music selections of the second album much better. What's more, is you can get this one in 24bit/88.2k FLAC. Oh, and it's only $10.

You can buy it here: http://store.ffdistantworlds.com/album/distant-worlds-ii-more-music-from-final-fantasy

May 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 20
If any of you are in the bay area in July, this may be worth checking out.

http://community.sfsymphony.org/events/2-nights-2-programs-music-from-1

May 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Thank you chronomitch, for sharing this  
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm glad you guys seem to like the new album. I didn't realize there were replies until I checked this thread again today. The new forum must have changed my subscription email notice settings.

Quote:
Is it different from the game soundtrack by a lot?

They are orchestral arrangements of the game music, so it is very similar. The music itself has not been remixed or rewritten, but more instruments have been added. Hearing this music performed by a decent orchestra is really amazing. My favorite is probably Dancing Mad, even though I have never finished FF6 (I know, it's on my list of things to do
redface.gif
).

May 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 20
Hot damn! I loved the first one. BOUGHT BOUGHT AND BOUGHT

edit: Just downloaded and it sounds awesome. If anyone cares they have a score with the HD600s in the booklet pdf =D

May 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 20
Man, listened the Prelude and it reminded me of the time when Final Fantasy was still good and not the garbage it is nowadays. Tear droppingly beautiful. But FF music is ALWAYS good.

May 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 20
They are huge lossless files. 2000kbps on some. I tried to put it on my S9 and it crashes when it tries to play it.

Anyone know of a way to reduce the kbps? I tried lvl 8 conversion but that didnt change anything.

May 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
They are huge lossless files. 2000kbps on some. I tried to put it on my S9 and it crashes when it tries to play it.

Anyone know of a way to reduce the kbps? I tried lvl 8 conversion but that didnt change anything.

The problem is probably the encoding itself, rather than the size of the files. These are 24-bit 88.2khz FLAC files, which your portable player probably doesn't support in the first place. I know my Rockbox'ed iPod 5.5G doesn't support them. Your best bet is to re-encode them at a more common bit rate and frequency, such as 16-bit 44.1khz FLAC or MP3. You will lose some detail, but you probably won't notice on a portable player due to other restraints.

May 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
The problem is probably the encoding itself, rather than the size of the files. These are 24-bit 88.2khz FLAC files, which your portable player probably doesn't support in the first place. I know my Rockbox'ed iPod 5.5G doesn't support them. Your best bet is to re-encode them at a more common bit rate and frequency, such as 16-bit 44.1khz FLAC or MP3. You will lose some detail, but you probably won't notice on a portable player due to other restraints.

What would you use to encode that? I can't do it out of foosbar unless I am missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back