Dissection of a NW-HD3
Feb 25, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cykalan
And for all you who're interested, it's a Toshiba MK2006GAL HDD, anyone know HDD of bigger volume of the same size?
biggrin.gif

Interesting. Toshiba's pretty much got the portable audio device harddrive market sewn up, their web site has a MK3006GAL listed which looks to be the 30Gb version of this 1.8 inch drive. They have a 60Gb drive also, and are looking at releasing an 80Gb version in August, but these are 8mm high whereas the GAL model drive's such as the one in our players is a 5mm high drive, so I'm guessing they won't physically fit. I'd expect the MK3006GAL to drop right in though, but it'd be up to the firmware as to whether it knows how to handle the different drive size.

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #17 of 28
cykalan, you're a champ for doing this. I have an HD1 and was curious, but not curious enough! The accelerometer chip is cool. I'm a little surprised that g-shock sensor isn't just some marketing gag rather than real tech!

Feb 26, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naybor
I have an HD1 and was curious, but not curious enough!

And what I didn't tell you is I did that on the very first day I get home with this baby.
eek.gif

I am wondering if the HD3 will fits into the HD1 cradle, you have an idea? Any HD3's around you??

Feb 27, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 28
if you havn't seen my other post on this forum, g-shock only partially worked when i tested it for real...............................accidently dropped HD3 and it's being repaired now.

Feb 27, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mica-AB
if you havn't seen my other post on this forum, g-shock only partially worked when i tested it for real...............................accidently dropped HD3 and it's being repaired now.

yes i've read that.
biggrin.gif
hope that it will be back to you soon!

well G-sensor only can shut down the HDD to prevent damage to the HDD but it can't guarantee the other chips and the LCD free from damage!

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
must be a trend or something... buying expensive daps, void the warranty and dissect the player.

Nice work!
biggrin.gif
I saw the Sony VGP-AP1L being dissected at DAPreview and I was like WOW :O

well i saw that too!
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #23 of 28
anyone know if there is anywhere to find a replacement battery for these bad ma's?

im also very curious to see if the 30 gig hard drive would work in the nw-hd3.

May 7, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

And for all you who're interested, it's a Toshiba MK2006GAL HDD, anyone know HDD of bigger volume of the same size?
biggrin.gif

Yes! The 40GB version is the MK4006GAH and, in the UK, retails at around £100+VAT. As Hasselhoffia mentioned, Toshiba has also made a 60GB version; it lives inside the iPod Photo.

Great pics, by the way.

Edit: After a bit of "research", I found out that the 60GB version is the MK6006GAH and it retails at 130+VAT.
More here, if anyone fancies trying them out!

Jul 28, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

well i saw that too!
biggrin.gif

Can someone give me a link please? I'd love to see the insides of my beautiful Vaio Pocket without prying it open.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
Yes! The 40GB version is the MK4006GAH and, in the UK, retails at around £100+VAT. As Hasselhoffia mentioned, Toshiba has also made a 60GB version; it lives inside the iPod Photo.

Great pics, by the way.

Edit: After a bit of "research", I found out that the 60GB version is the MK6006GAH and it retails at 130+VAT.
More here, if anyone fancies trying them out!

the 60 giger is 8mm thick rather than 5 so it wont do.

Personally I am waiting till the 40gig 5mm perpendicular tech drives from toshiba can be bought OEM, then my G21 is going under the knife.

Ninja Edit:
Quote:

Toshiba has brought the new technology to two high capacity drives: the MK4007GAL HDD packs 40GB into a drive only five millimeters thick... Toshiba plans to start mass production of the 40GB and 80GB drives in the first and second quarters, respectively, of the fiscal year starting April 1, 2005.

Anyone know where to buy the MK4007GAL oem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back