Dissatisfaction with clix2 and s9 comparing to clix 1 ?!
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Silt

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Well, i don't know whether there's something wrong with my ears or my head. I've had iriver clix1 512mb for about 3years and i am still under impression of the sq. However, 512mb is certainly not enough and menu is really slow. I decided to buy Cowon s9 because of great sq and equalizer which is absolutely crucial for me. SQ on s9 was like 5% better than the one on clix1 (tested with senns hd555 and SM pl30) . For that price, i wouldn't call it an achievement. I think i'll sell it...

Then i bought clix2. Since it's a successor of clix1 i thought sq will be at least the same. Once again i connected hd555s and pl30. When I set the eq i just thought it was some kind of a joke, the sound was terrible. SRS WOW helped quite a lot( i didn't use it in case of clix1, it was garbage), but still it's about 10% worse that clix1. It wasquite amazing as I read many reviews saying that SRS is a huge mistake and indeed in case of clix1 it is.

Only when i put hd555s together with my Asus xonar dx, there's a significant improvement in sq.

Well, after reading so many reviews that sq is great in the both devices i think i might simply be insane. i let my father judge it and he actually told pretty the same. Is there some kind of warming-up the player just like in case of headphones ?

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to look into players that use Cirrus Logic audio codecs; your Clix has one while your Clix 2 and S9 use Wolfson.

Well, that's a great idea, thanks. Do u have any webside with listed audio codecs and players that use 'em ? I googled it but haven't found anything adequate yet.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 9
You could start here at the Rockbox Wiki:

Scroll down to Hardware Information and poke around the various processor pages

There was also a recent thread on this board about Sony + Cirrus Logic, but not sure if losing all the audio format support is something you're keen to do.

Then, of course, there's the Dark Side: iPod. Just Google and you'll find more discussion than you probably care to read regarding iPods and Wolfson vs. Cirrus.

Most of the Cirrus Logic action I'm aware of is in China, but the emphasis here is on video playback; still there are/have been a ton of players in the last year or so using the same Cirrus CS42L52 codec...again, though, you're looking at 4.3" or larger screened PMPs.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 9
You like brighter, somewhat aggressive sound. Get a Sony.
A few Chinese mp3 player I experienced, they were tuned to be on the polite side; if you are familiar with Chinese pop music, you'll understand why.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 9
I still have the clix1 4gb and clix2 8gb and have bought and sold the cowon d2 in the past.

If the s9 sound is close to the d2 sound then I am afraid it would be disappointing. I found the sound to be over processed and metallic.

If you like the warm sound of the clix1 but would like some detail then go for a zune hd. It is a warm player and has a pretty good sound quality. But it does not have the bass of clix1 though but has a more towards neutral sound quality but still slightly warm.

If you prefer a neutral sound then the ipod touch 3g sounds pretty decent out of the headphone out. I am using one right now and find it pretty impressive. The bass slam is pretty good.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You like brighter, somewhat aggressive sound. Get a Sony.
A few Chinese mp3 player I experienced, they were tuned to be on the polite side; if you are familiar with Chinese pop music, you'll understand why.

Like x1050 ? Does it have Cirrus logic or Wolfson inside ? Are cheaper models also decent-sounding ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis
I still have the clix1 4gb and clix2 8gb and have bought and sold the cowon d2 in the past.

If the s9 sound is close to the d2 sound then I am afraid it would be disappointing. I found the sound to be over processed and metallic.

If you like the warm sound of the clix1 but would like some detail then go for a zune hd. It is a warm player and has a pretty good sound quality. But it does not have the bass of clix1 though but has a more towards neutral sound quality but still slightly warm.

If you prefer a neutral sound then the ipod touch 3g sounds pretty decent out of the headphone out. I am using one right now and find it pretty impressive. The bass slam is pretty good.

Well, I had touch 1g and I really didn't like the sound. It has no custom equalizer which is a serious disadvantage. I am also looking for something fresh and new.. ipod actually hasn't changed a lot as far as interface is concerned since 1gen.

Zune HD sounds pretty good. I really like the design and multimedia features. Is the sound closer to touch or clix1 ? Does it have a custom eq ? Can I expect at least the same quality as of clix1 ?

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Sony mp3 players have "Sony sound" - it's warm for sure. To be frank, when I first got Sony X, I said to myself, "Wait a moment, it sounds just like my S639" - I am happy to admit my first impression was... incorrect. Sony X sounds better in every way, however, I'd be happy with S639 if I can not have Sony X. Someone said new S545 sounds slightly clean/thin or less warm (compare to S639), but it's hard for him to tell without side-by-side comparison.
Sony does use Cirrus logic. Chipset used does not always "=" to sound preference, the sound can be tuned. This so-called Cirrus logic vs Wolfson thing..., oh well, because most company don't bother to change it much.
You like it warm. Ever popular Sansa Clip+ is warm, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back