Dissapointing hd595
Dec 3, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 144
You can put me in the "meh" camp, as far as the HD 595 is concerned. It is not a big enough improvement over the HD 555 (which I do like for the amount that it costs) to be worth the extra $120, IMHO.

And I'm no big fan of the Koss Porta Pro, either. While it's a great "portable" open headphone, I found too many flaws in its sound (somewhat bloated bass, uneven midrange) to continue using it on a regular basis.

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #17 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by einis
why are there holes on the sides that frees the sound? i can almoust use these as computer speakers...now everyone can hear i listen to britney spears
blink.gif
580smile.gif

Because they're open headphones. Dude you really need to learn more about headphones before you put out an opinion.

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 144
Quote:

why are there holes on the sides that frees the sound? i can almoust use these as computer speakers...now everyone can hear i listen to britney spears
blink.gif
580smile.gif

How about having "everyone can hear you listen to the words 's***' and 'screw'?"
eek.gif

(I know you try to avoid listening to those kinds of so-called "music," but...)
That's exactly how open some of the best-sounding headphones are.

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #19 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
How about having "everyone can hear you listen to the words 's***' and 'screw'?"
eek.gif

(I know you try to avoid listening to those kinds of so-called "music," but...)
That's exactly how open some of the best-sounding headphones are.

Hey! There's good music out there with 's***' and 'screw' in it...as for 'n****r,' that's a different story.

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 144
what??

iv heared dipol speakers, thats a different story. but this is headphones, why the screw does the opposite side need to be open?
probably as bass reflex, its gimmick, easier to produse, less problems but sound way worse than closed.
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #21 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by merlock
Because they're open headphones. Dude you really need to learn more about headphones before you put out an opinion.

lol. and 200million voters in america shouldnt vote, they dont know enough about politics.
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 144
Quote:

probably as bass reflex, its gimmick, easier to produse, less problems but sound way worse than closed.
biggrin.gif

No, it's not a gimmick and generally open headphones are easier to produce better sounding.

Dec 3, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 144
Man dude, the vast majority of high end phones are open. Grado, Senn, and Beyerdynamic to name a few. I don't think Grado even makes a closed phone, and Senn only makes a few in their lower end line. I think what you're suffering is a syndrome called 'colored taste'. What that means is if you eat McDonalds everyday for years and then go have a sweet steak and potato, you might say at first, "Man, this potato is flavorless compared to McDonalds fries, and this steak just tastes like a hunk of meat."

Then one day you realize that the 'flavor' of McDonalds is just salt and oil, and you start to appreciate the nice potato. Then you realize the 'flavor' of a McDonalds burger is all salt, ketchup, and God knows what other additives they use, and you start to appreciate the fat steak.

In other words, while the Koss phones are supposed to be good (never heard them personally), they are closer to McDonalds than Morton's Steakhouse. Burn in the 595's for a couple days (literally days, like 50+ hours solid), listen to them for a few more days after that, then try and go back to lower end phones. THEN you'll see a difference
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW - I had this same problem with HD555's vs HD497's, at first I thought, "Oh man I just wasted all this money," but over time the 555's just overtook the 497's, then they got even better than that, and I never put the 497's on again
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Dec 3, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 144
So, with all this discussion about the high-end Senns, I'm going to ask a really stupid question. Please forgive me for this, no one's ever explained this to me...

But what exactly is the principle behind open headphones? Why exactly is it easier to produce better sound out of a pair of headphones that have a bunch of holes in the back?

Please forgive my n00bness, but it's been something I've been wondering ever since I started looking at this forum...

Dec 3, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
But what exactly is the principle behind open headphones? Why exactly is it easier to produce better sound out of a pair of headphones that have a bunch of holes in the back?

I'm not sure, but one thing may be the reflections that may occur in a closed design.

Dec 3, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
I'm not sure, but one thing may be the reflections that may occur in a closed design.

Reflections WILL occur in a closed design, there's no 'may' about it. In fact reflections occur in open designs too, but they're lessened significantly. Also open phones sound less 'in your head', i.e. they feel more like speakers.

--Illah

Dec 3, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #27 of 144
I would like to know what source the Thread starter used with his 595's. I disgree with most people, i like the 595's more than the 770/80, A900's, and 580's. They require a good source and EQ'ing to sound great. The bass isn't earth shattering but it's definitely there and sounds great.

Dec 3, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #28 of 144
I really don't get why Koss PortaPro get so much positive mention. I agree with the McDonalds analogy from the previous page.

I find that PortaPro's have lots of bass, drowning the lower mids. Also, when I listen to them, I feel like the ceiling is 1ft above mye head, the "soundstage" does not seem to "open up" and get out of my head.

I have not heard too much of the HD595's, but I'd pick them any day.

Knut

Dec 3, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #30 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Man dude, the vast majority of high end phones are open. Grado, Senn, and Beyerdynamic to name a few. I don't think Grado even makes a closed phone, and Senn only makes a few in their lower end line. I think what you're suffering is a syndrome called 'colored taste'. What that means is if you eat McDonalds everyday for years and then go have a sweet steak and potato, you might say at first, "Man, this potato is flavorless compared to McDonalds fries, and this steak just tastes like a hunk of meat."

Then one day you realize that the 'flavor' of McDonalds is just salt and oil, and you start to appreciate the nice potato. Then you realize the 'flavor' of a McDonalds burger is all salt, ketchup, and God knows what other additives they use, and you start to appreciate the fat steak.

In other words, while the Koss phones are supposed to be good (never heard them personally), they are closer to McDonalds than Morton's Steakhouse. Burn in the 595's for a couple days (literally days, like 50+ hours solid), listen to them for a few more days after that, then try and go back to lower end phones. THEN you'll see a difference

BTW - I had this same problem with HD555's vs HD497's, at first I thought, "Oh man I just wasted all this money," but over time the 555's just overtook the 497's, then they got even better than that, and I never put the 497's on again

That is wonderfully put. I went through the same thing, thinking my radioshack headphones were better than my Ultrasone HFI-650s. Since I've adjusted, I compare the two phones and have no idea what I was thinking.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back