Dissapointing hd595
Dec 3, 2004 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

einis

New Head-Fier
just today gotten my new sennheiser hd595...i thought it was time to replace my well used koss portapro. i wonder why i did that...after 3-4hrs with them i cant hear much improvement, besides theyr a little faster.
the tiny portapro even have more bass!
and im not having any trouble driving them, i use a pretty ok chinese tube headamp, + a $1000 dollar d/a converter.
rolleyes.gif

this confirms my thoughts that koss portapro is the moust genius and praticle headphones today..i cant belive that the price of 1/5 and the 1/5 size it almoust even compeets with the 595.
buying something like the 515 og 555 must be pretty idiotic...

or will they possibly get better thru the days?
tongue.gif

any thoughts to share?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 144
I don't think much of the HD595 either, but they're going to need much more than 3-4 hours to show what they can do. Try something along the lines of 100+ hours, and then see how you like them.

Dec 3, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 144
Einis, consider yourself lucky that you are happy with your Koss and won't be needing to spend too much for $enn$.

Portapro indeed have more bass and are 'louder' than 595 ... however I'm quite sure Sennheiser did not intend to design the 595 to sound like that.

I agree Portapro are good sounding phones and astoundingly good value cans (in my case sportapro), but getting the refinement above that are both difficult and costly. I can't recall any higher end Koss to compete with other mfgs like Senns or Beyers save for its discontinued electrostat cans.

Dec 3, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 144
i don like hd595 , its like a grado wannabe but not grado type of phones, you should get hd580 if you want only senn

i like grado but i prefer hd600 to hd595

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 144
I guess it's all down to personal preference - because to my ears the HD595s should hang their drivers in shame whenever the dt531's are in the room. The dt531 is far more musical and involving, even if there is a slightly recessed midrange. It still sounds better than the mechanical dry audio sound of the HD595, with it's unrealistic detail.

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 144
plainsong, yes, I think it's personal choice but I think you also have more headphone experience than me and I am not very analytical with my music as long as it sounds good to me. Maybe genre, source and amp makes a difference too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I guess it's all down to personal preference - because to my ears the HD595s should hang their drivers in shame whenever the dt531's are in the room. The dt531 is far more musical and involving, even if there is a slightly recessed midrange. It still sounds better than the mechanical dry audio sound of the HD595, with it's unrealistic detail.

I agree
smily_headphones1.gif

The 595 just sounds strangely harsh yet boring at the same time to me
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 144
I guess it's a matter of taste! I happen to like the 595's, albeit with certain music the best.

I own Sony CD-3k's, Senn 650's, used to own Senn 580's and Grado 325's. I've had tube OTL, hybrid, and SS amps. To my ears, the 595's did very well on music that was recorded a little bit recessed; that forwardness mated very well with it, and the soundstage/imaging capabilities were almost on par with the 650's.

I drove mine for 7 staright days through the headphone output of a receiver (it luckily has speaker on/off swithces), locked on FM for that whole period. Instant burn-in!

Ultimately, I still prefer the 650's for most music. And I love the CD-3k's for what they do as closed phones. But I don't dislike the 595 at all, and find it mates well with certain music I have even better than some of the more expensive phones.

My 2 cents.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 144
ok.
dont get me wrong, theyr ofcourse better than the portapro and possible are good at theyr price.
after a few more hours, they are definitly less harsh than portapro and a great deal faster. but are not as physical ...the drivers has more distance etc. voices sound a bit thinner i think, more distant ..
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 144
Wow...I thought I was the only one on HeadFi who couldnt listen to these cans without shouting out some kind of expletive or the other
k1000smile.gif

HD-595 -> Bad value
blink.gif

I couldnt stand the sound...I loved the comfort...but they kept slipping off my head when I was on the recliner.

They just had to go
rolleyes.gif

in contrast - Koss PP / Koss PP2 / SR-60 are all still here...sorry HD-595
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 144
My feelings about the 595's aside, I wouldn't expect any good headphone to have more bass than the Portapro, which, in my opinion, has too much bass. I would expect a better can to have tighter, more extended bass, but there are probably few cans out there that have more bass than the portrapros.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by einis
the drivers has more distance etc. voices sound a bit thinner i think, more distant ..
confused.gif

Imo that's 'typical' Senn house sound ... not front row seat or upfront on stage sound but rather with the audience 10 rows back. Again imo that's one of Senn design goal: headphones that are as close as listening to speakers on sweet spot, meaning some good distance to the speakers. The popular 580/600 are more distant sounding while 595/650 bring you slightly closer.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 144
Add me to the list of people who really like the 595. I think they sound awesome and definitely way better than the portapros. I've used the 580s and can say that I definitely like the 595s better.

merlock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back