Dissapointed with SE310 replacement for my faulty E2
Jan 8, 2009 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ickle97116084

New Head-Fier
I recently returned my E2s due to a faulty cable, the shop gratefully let me trade up to the SE310 for a minimal cost. I am however very unimpressed thus far with these earphones. I have tried all tips and had over 20 hours use out of the earphones and feel they are very unimpressive. Allthough isolation is great its not overly strong, I could hear a baby screaming on the bus but couldnt hear the bus engine (when the baby stopped screaming). Clarity is better than the E2s and in parts bass is a little more noticeable but overall I dont feel theres any punch. Playing with the EQ does little to change this impression.

Am I expecting too much or should I wait a little longer for the earphones to 'Burn In' and if so how long should IEMs take to burn in.

I unfortunately woul not be able to take these back as the sehop has a no refunds policy on IEMs after the packet has been opened.

Thankyou for your help,

Ickle

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 8
SE310's drivers are balanced armatures which explains the lack of bass 'punch' compared to the E2C (dynamics). My suggestion is to keep listening to it and experimenting with fit. Hopefully eventually you will get used to the sound signature.

If you have problems with isolation, try to use them with comply foam tips. Don't know about them crying babies though. I read once about babies capable of crying in certain low frequencies that can penetrate walls and stuff.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Its not really the bass I find that is the issue its everything about the sound. It is clear and isolation is good but the overall impression is that of listening to music through a slightly better than average pair of earphones. I am hoping over time they will 'open up' and the sound stage will improve as at the moment I dont get that in the head experience I have read about (more like in a very enclosed space). Any users of the SE310 can you confirm how long it took to burn in these earphones, maybe 20 hours of burn in is insufficient to judge these earphones.

For reference I use a IPOD 30G and listen to rock and Indie music such as biffy clyro, Blink 182, Evanescence, Foo Fighters etc.

Thanks Ickle.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ickle97116084 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not really the bass I find that is the issue its everything about the sound. It is clear and isolation is good but the overall impression is that of listening to music through a slightly better than average pair of earphones. I am hoping over time they will 'open up' and the sound stage will improve as at the moment I dont get that in the head experience I have read about (more like in a very enclosed space). Any users of the SE310 can you confirm how long it took to burn in these earphones, maybe 20 hours of burn in is insufficient to judge these earphones.

For reference I use a IPOD 30G and listen to rock and Indie music such as biffy clyro, Blink 182, Evanescence, Foo Fighters etc.

Thanks Ickle.

the 30gb ipod 5g isnt much cop to be honest, what are your music bit rates??

bear in mind now you own higher end earphones it would be advised to up your codec bit rates because lower ones 192 and below will show up bad sounding music

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 30gb ipod 5g isnt much cop to be honest, what are your music bit rates??

bear in mind now you own higher end earphones it would be advised to up your codec bit rates because lower ones 192 and below will show up bad sounding music

Since using the E2s I have tried to ensure my library has only got got 256kbps or higher encoded tracks. Since the iPOD can only handle AAC and MP3 flac is out of the question.

jinx20001 if you have owned any Shures in the past how long was the burn in period.

Regards,

Ickle

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ickle97116084 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since using the E2s I have tried to ensure my library has only got got 256kbps or higher encoded tracks. Since the iPOD can only handle AAC and MP3 flac is out of the question.

jinx20001 if you have owned any Shures in the past how long was the burn in period.

Regards,

Ickle

ive owned a few shures, the e3c, e4c and se530's i currently own, none of them require burn in my friend because they use balanced armature speakers which dont benefit from burn in like dynamics, the e2c however may benefit from burn in as the speaker technology used (dynamic coil driver) has been proven to benefit.

but yeh they wont need burn in dude.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 8
So the SE310 dont need a burn in
bigsmile_face.gif

All the hours I have spent blasting rage against the machine through them while I am sleeping has been for nought then.

LOL
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back