Dislocated thumb
Oct 29, 2007 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
I dislocated my thumb about a month ago, but it's still swollen, and I can't bend it too much.

I went to the doctor the next day to have it x-rayed and monitored for the next week, and she okayed it, saying that it should get better.

Does anyone know usually how long it takes until one can gain full mobility back?

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Depends on how bad it is, it's happened to both of my pinkies and they both took a few weeks to get back to normal.

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 9
4-6 weeks...? Hmmm... mine's pretty overdue, then...

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Mine took about 3-4 months to heal properly after a nasty fall and my full weight on the thumb. Having feared the worst even after the doctor had given me much the same advice as to you, and unable to play my flute and guitar properly, I'm glad to say it's right as rain now...

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine took about 3-4 months to heal properly after a nasty fall and my full weight on the thumb. Having feared the worst even after the doctor had given me much the same advice as to you, and unable to play my flute and guitar properly, I'm glad to say it's right as rain now...

That's very encouraging, thank you. My injury was not as sever as yours... I just was being a total complete idiot and tried to break a board with my thumb only.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 9
I had a severe sprain on my thumb 2 months ago and it's still not completely healed. I think these things just take time. But if it's causing you excessive pain, you should go back to see your doctor again.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Soft/fibrous tissue sprains take longer to heal because of their relative avascular nature. I'm sure it will resolve in due course. My dad had a pretty bad sprain on his pinkie about half a year ago and it still ever so slightly tingly. He is 50-ish though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back