Dislike of my HD595's...need to find replacement can
Jun 10, 2007 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Giudecca

Head-Fier
I have a few hundred hours on my HD595's and they still dont sound very good to me. I had hoped for a better bottom end, but still have yet to hear it. I would like to replace them with something that actually has bass, but not a huge amount. I am mainly listening to Electronic, Classic Rock, and some Classical.

I spose I could get some bass out of these cans but dont want to put the money into an amp that will make them work. I rather get a set of cans that sound good un-amped and then when amped I am completely blown away. I hope to in the next few months get either a Micro Stack or a Hornet/Micro DAC.

I have thought about going for a set of Grado's but dont know too much about them, also some beyer's have caught my eye. The 770's seem to have more bass, but i would like to get a comparison between the 770's and a decent set of Grado's....upto the 325's I think. Dont want to spend any more than the HD595's cost.

Any and all ideas are welcome!!

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giudecca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few hundred hours on my HD595's and they still dont sound very good to me. I had hoped for a better bottom end, but still have yet to hear it. I would like to replace them with something that actually has bass, but not a huge amount. I am mainly listening to Electronic, Classic Rock, and some Classical.

I spose I could get some bass out of these cans but dont want to put the money into an amp that will make them work. I rather get a set of cans that sound good un-amped and then when amped I am completely blown away. I hope to in the next few months get either a Micro Stack or a Hornet/Micro DAC.

I have thought about going for a set of Grado's but dont know too much about them, also some beyer's have caught my eye. The 770's seem to have more bass, but i would like to get a comparison between the 770's and a decent set of Grado's....upto the 325's I think. Dont want to spend any more than the HD595's cost.

Any and all ideas are welcome!!

I know the Grado 225's are great for classic rock..Snappy tight bass..Upfront & aggressive presentation..But Soundstage might be a bit narrow for classical.. I loved my 595's till I got better gear, then my 650's put the submisson on my 595's.. AS did the SA5000. I find them to be too front heavy & too shallow..But I still might by another pair & balance them, since they are the opposite of the 650's.. & I like the Sen house sound.

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 22
I guess I was kind of in the same position as you. I wanted a pair of cans for at home listening, and considered my options. I mainly looked at the HD595's (in question), the A900's, the Gardo's and the Alessandro's. I decided to immediately rule out open cans so the HD595's went out the door immediately. Then I went for the other four. Going on impressions from others, I gathered that the Gardo's and Alessandro's were pretty awesome cans, but after prolonged listening, your ears wouldn't necessarily hurt, but it would be relatively uncomfortable. That, and for my listening habits (Indie Rock, Rap, Jazz, Post Rock, basically everything), I wanted a more rounded can, and the Gardo's and the Alessandros didn't provide me with that.

So I ventured into 770 and A900 terratory. I wanted SOME bass, but was concerned with excessive bass. This stemmed mainly from listening to them Bose headphones in the Apple Store where I get headaches because of the horrible quality and the overpowering bass, so I became weary immediately of the 770's. That, and I thought the A900's did look a bit better :). Anyways, I went with the A900's. Great set of cans, as they are well rounded (I listen to everything from 2Pac to Wolf Parade to Beethoven to Coltrane), extremely comfortable, and provided good bang for the buck. They are big, but I liked them a lot.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 22
The A500/A700/A900 will make your ears sweat like they've just been in the shower.
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 22
some Beyer 770 have pleather pads, which can be kind of sweaty too.....

the Beyer 990 is actually a sure bet, good highs and great bass. A little more expensive though.

I have Koss KSC55, Senn555 and Beyer990, but the 555's don't get used often, if at all. I either use KSC55 or the 990. I know the 595's are supposedly better than the 555 but have read that they have about the same amount of bass.....

Have heard the Grado's (MS-1, MS-2 and RS-1). They seem very bright to me. Of course, I am used to my 990/600.

Pre-05 Beyer 990's are around $180, which is not too much higher than the 595. OUTSTANDING for electronic musics!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 22
All you need for deep bass is an adaptor with 75 ohms resistor in each channel, or high quality volume control like from Shure. Put it in series with your Senns and find the sweet spot for bass using volume adjustment. When I listen to my 595's louder via resistors they simply start to jump over my ears.

Jun 10, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 22
I believe with the total airhead, you would want to focus your search on higher efficiency phones, so as they would be driven closer to their maximum potential by a proper system match. The Grados as has been said has an in your head presentation which can be tiring and questionable for classical. Although, with Classic Rock, their on stage with the musicians is highly unique and string work is highly entertaing. However, for punch and impact the RS seriers is where to look,IMO...And you say that's out of the budjet...Perhaps the MS1 then...

I would suggest you try to strech your budjet to afford the D-2000s @ $289 for an efficient all rounder which will save you money not needing to upgrade your amp for a bit longer than with some of the other choices, specificlly the Beyers, IMO...

Good luck~

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 22
Seems I should go back to sealed cans rather than the opens. My wife thinks I should anyway. So with that in mind I might go with the A900's.

I had forgot to mention that I dont have the Total Airhead anymore and because of this I do think I am going to get the Hornet in 3 weeks. As far as the HD595's I purchased them from HeadRoom and still have time for their 30 day return policy.

Any other suggestions with the new closed can criteria and the soon to be hornet?

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 22
I would steer clear of the A900, A700 and A500, they all have pretty badly recessed mids, which IMO is an instant killer for the sound. They are all right for gaming, but other than that.... same thing goes for the DT770.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 22
Looking at your source, I'd say that if you're looking for bass, the A900s or DT770s are a safer bet then Grados. Grados are actually less effecient then the 595, so they're not going to be as dynamic as the 595. You're not going to hear as much of a recession on the A900 or DT770 with a source that may be bass shy. The A900 has slightly more bass then the HD595, while the DT770 has loads more. However some people don't feel that the DT770 is a bass monster....so it might be worth a try.

And as far as microbrews....how about save some money and get into homebrew!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
I have a "Sparrowtail Porter" fermenting away right now.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 22
With the DT770's I see a 80ohm and a 250ohm. What would the major differences be with these other than the 80's being easier to drive?

As far as the homebrew, that is a very good idea. Will have to look into what it takes!!

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at your source, I'd say that if you're looking for bass, the A900s or DT770s are a safer bet then Grados. Grados are actually less effecient then the 595, so they're not going to be as dynamic as the 595. You're not going to hear as much of a recession on the A900 or DT770 with a source that may be bass shy. The A900 has slightly more bass then the HD595, while the DT770 has loads more. However some people don't feel that the DT770 is a bass monster....so it might be worth a try.

And as far as microbrews....how about save some money and get into homebrew!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
I have a "Sparrowtail Porter" fermenting away right now.

On top of all the other hobbies and activities; a Brewmeister too!
cool.gif

wink.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giudecca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the DT770's I see a 80ohm and a 250ohm. What would the major differences be with these other than the 80's being easier to drive?

As far as the homebrew, that is a very good idea. Will have to look into what it takes!!

The 80 ohm is easier to drive.....it would deffinitely have more bass then the HD595. Since the 250ohm is less easy, you might find it has more bass. It's a balancing act of figuring what sounds too bright, too muddy, or just right.

And as far as beer (I'm just getting into it....it's the least expensive of my hobbies
icon10.gif
), check out "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing", Charlie Papazian. It's in paper back, so it's easy on the wallet.....but it's the bible of home brewing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On top of all the other hobbies and activities; a Brewmeister too!

There's no such thing as having too many hobbies/ interests is there??
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back