Disgraced Marion Jones Gets 6 Months in Jail for lying about using steroids ...
Jan 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
Quote:

Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite her plea that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time."

Taken from here

A few months ago Jones stripped of medals, erased from records

Quote:

Sprinter 'disqualified and scrapped' after admitting doping in 2000 Olympics

LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Don’t look for Marion Jones’ name in the Olympic record books any more. As far as the IOC is concerned, her five-medal performance at the 2000 Sydney Games never happened.

jones2_wideweb__430x309.jpg

The Olympic Games in Sydney 2000, Australia

Who's next? Barroid?

Any comments?

eek.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 10
It's a shame that athletes resort to performance enhancing drugs to compete. I know that winning is everything in terms of money & fame, but the consequences are severe and lasts a lifetime.

In the case of Marion Jones, it doesn't make much sense to attempt doping since her sport is highly regulated/tested. But with Bonds, him using 'roids enabled him to garner $20,000,000+ a year contracts and MLB did not enforce squat--so it was worth it; and even when caught, Bonds is still able to keep his money, but with a tainted record--big whoop.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 10
The people that called Mark Henry a liar (for calling her out all those years ago) owe him an apology. It just goes to show that when you hang with Timmy Montgomery, bad things happen.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 10
She certainly deserve it!
Cheaters should be punished real hard imo...

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, I think it's the lying to Federal investigators (and check fraud) that was her undoing, rather than the steroid use per se.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think it's the lying to Federal investigators (and check fraud) that was her undoing, rather than the steroid use per se.

That's whats screwed Bonds also. Sure, using roids might screw up your career, but there's probably not any legal implications involved. Once you go under oath and lie about it in a court of law you're committing perjury. Now I'm just waiting to see what happens with Clemens.

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Such a shame. I think the IOC is doing the right thing, though.

What's really sad is the fact that the other olympians could have won the gold fair and square in the 2000 Olympics had she not been allowed to compete. Due to their age now being 8 years older (decrease in stamina and endurance), they probably won't have the same chance in the 2008 Olympics that they would have had in 2000 to win the gold, if they even try for it at all.

These steroid users don't just hurt themselves, they hurt other people as well by being so selfish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back