Discussion on hand-made headphones
Feb 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KasperskyKills

New Head-Fier

I doubt this has been done before and I have no idea why, but I would like to discuss home-made headphones.

Headphones are so simple I am surprised it is not a common project.

Post what you know, where you get parts, and pics of your builds to show off. It would be nice to see this happen.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 4
I have seen some people on this forum who have a tempted it but cant seem to find the threads at the moment but I remember a couple of them using modified ribbon tweeters as drivers and a lot of people have modified grados so heavily there is barely anything left of the original headphone. 
I am excited to see what you come up with 

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Well so far I am using some labtec spin-55 speakers as drivers, and they bring better sound quality than my fathers Sennhizer pro280 headphones, but they are not balanced. They literally KICK bass. The headphones will be made out of wood and the inside will be reenforced with soundproof material to keep all the sound going in your ear and not out the back of the headphones. The headphones will also have a detachable cable, and it will be using replacement ear cushions for behringer hpx2000 headphones. if using replacement ear cushions does not work, I will cut out ear cushions from memory foam pillows. My only problem is I cannot figure out how to make the headband for them. There isn't a material I can find that will be flexible, and can hold such heavy drivers.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Have been fiddling with the process for a while but here is a top tip for getting digital images onto some headphones... inkjet water slide decal paper.
Model makers use it for making custom decals and signs for model railways, planes etc - you can print the image on a standard inkjet printer - give it a coat of clear acrylic to stabilize it - then when you soak it in water the top layer with the ink on can be slid off onto your project. I found painting the headphones white first and then lacquering it to give a nice smooth surface first is pretty important then print and go. 
Once you have the decal on the earcup make sure you work any air bubbles out to the edge and then let it dry fully. once dry give it a final coat of clear lacquer.

Here are some DT770s I recently did using this technique - it then blended the image in with an airbrush but that is not totally necessary if you chose your design carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back