[Discussion] How does 60's-70's music still holdup? open to all opinions
Mar 6, 2015 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FaisalAlmalki23

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow forum mates, as you can see, i'm a newcomer to this lovely forum..

For the first subject, i'm going to write about something i had to mind recently, i'm an avid fan of prog. rock and many 60's-70's bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Asia, Led Zeppelin, Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I was interested to know other users' opinions about Prog. Rock generally or the bands associated with the genre, I know most of the bands listed above are somewhat obscure in the digital music age and quite scarce in popularity "although still appreciated by many".

Let me start with my own opinion, i prefer King Crimson since their pieces are quite different apart and really innovative in many aspects such as being one of the first users of the legendary Mellotron after the Beatles.

Which album i prefer? I like all of them, i'd say Red being the most favored, and after it comes the albums In The Court Of The Crimson King, Lizard, and finally Lark's Tongues In Aspic.

I'm open to all opinions including criticism, be free to give your opinion freely if you like.

Thank you for reading this thread and submitting your opinion if you did.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Progressive rock bands around the era that you mentioned besides the ones you listed are Genesis, Pink Floyd, Electric Light Orchestra, Supertramp, and 10cc that I can name.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 8
All of those you listed also live within my lovely collection of prog, listed my personal favorites in the main post.
Am i the only one who listens to them directly from vinyl? i use an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 USB turntable hooked up to one of the back USB ports, i've only recently got some of King Crimson's albums on CD "less distortion" as well as all Yes albums.
The card i use is a Creative SB recon3D Fatal1ty Champion Which is not an audiophile card, but when I listened to the Xonar series and the Creative SB platinum i liked the sound of this one "dunno why, don't ask :)"

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 8
  Prog rock that was actually progressive still holds up today. A lot of the other stuff, not so much.

I agree with this. A lot of really good stuff including some of the best music of all time imo but there is also a whole bunch of 'meh'

Eloy - Ocean: A great prog album sort of in the same vein as Pink Floyd. Spacey with lush melodies and immersive soundscspes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back