Discussion: DACs - how small and good can we make them?
Aug 6, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 23
This just in:

D1%2001.jpg

D1%2002.jpg

iBasso D1 Portable DAC/Amp

Quote:

- PCM2906, convert USB into a S/PDIF signal
- CS8416, DA-receiver chip
- CS4398, D/A chip, one of Cirrus Logic's Flagship Chips
- OP+BUF structure for amplification
- Dedicated MCU (Micro Controller Unit) to manager inputs, outputs, and functions.
- Flexible input and output compatibility. It has USB, optical, coaxial, stereo input, line out, and stereo output
- Works as a combo or a dedicated AMP, dedicated DAC, USB soundcard
- Built-in two 2A rechargeable Li-ion batteries, plays up to 40 hours
- Measures 78*32*120mm, and weights only 320g

Estimated price $229. Available August 10th.

See also thread in Amps Section.

Of course, I'm most curious about how it can be used as a dedicated DAC, since I'd be using other amplification at home. Any ideas?

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aux in/out jack would make this serve as a dedicated DAC.

Ah, yes, I just re-read the text:

Quote:

D1 has its dedicated MCU (Micro Controller Unit) to manage its inputs, outputs, and functions. This is an innovation on Portable DAC or Amp device. When D1 is turned on, the MCU will automatically search the inputs one by one, in sequence of (1st optical, 2nd coaxial, 3rd USB, and 4th Line In). Then, let the locked inputing signal to the chips for decoding or amplification, and the MCU will turn into sleep status at the same time. Benefit from the MCU, the port AUX IN/OUT on the front panel can have multi-function. When there is SPDIF signal inputing, this port is Line Out, otherwise, it is Line In.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we also consider the Super Pro DAC-In-The-Box for portable apps?

DAC707new.jpg

This one has got my attention, but there aren't a lot of impressions to be found thus far.

I might have to take the plunge and buy one of these! Good price and that HKS anodized purple color has me won over
icon10.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For such a DAC to sell in decent quantities it has to be expensive. One of the placebo effects is that a cheap DAC can't be much good.

Excellent point..

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent point..

+1, I am still not sure what my Stello does over the half-the-price E-MU 1616 I have lying around downstairs, but frankly I can't use the E-MU due to laptop incompatibility...and no one here ever listens to me when I tell them that 1616 is a RIDICULOUS source (except for people who have listened to things out of it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back