Discrete PPA Diamond Buffer - Alternative DIY Take :)
May 6, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #136 of 720
38mA per channel is fairly high, this is similar to what 4 HA3-5002 buffers would do (even a bit higher, I think). Higher current can translate into better sound but it's not portable (i.e. powering by battery is not practical) at this level of current draw. Still, most people probably plan on doing AC power only anyway.

May 6, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #137 of 720
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
38mA per channel is fairly high...

From experience, that is about eight 9V alkaline batteries every 24 hours of play time. Currently burning through an eight-pack a week, until I find an alternative. (The sound is great, of course...else I wouldn't bother.) NiMHs last 1/4 the time of alkalines...

Of course, the thing about class A is it's like a constant current sink on power. Doesn't matter if the volume control is up or down, if music is playing or not. Power is consumed continuously, constantly.

JF

May 6, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #138 of 720
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
38mA per channel is fairly high, this is similar to what 4 HA3-5002 buffers would do (even a bit higher, I think). Higher current can translate into better sound but it's not portable (i.e. powering by battery is not practical) at this level of current draw. Still, most people probably plan on doing AC power only anyway.

it can be adjusted quite easily, either you assemble just one pair of output transistors instead of two and you're at 22mA or change two resistor values to lower the bias to whatever you'd like
wink.gif
but yes, I don't think most people threat their PPAs as 'portables' anyway..

May 6, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #139 of 720
Hi guys,
I'm really glad I can introduce Glassman's Diamond buffer to you...
We've been testing the prototype extensively today. And it does really look promising!
When we first plugged one triade in - Holly crap! The sound si now more detailed, with much stronger bass and better separation between instruments. These buffers add whole new life and sparkle to my beloved PPA. Yes, the highs seem a bit sharp and grainy but with proper burning-in this should be fixed.

Here are some pictures.
Enjoy...
cool.gif

Diamond-up01.jpg

Bye-Bye Intersil:

Diamond-dark01.jpg

May 7, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #142 of 720
Quote:

I guess it's meant to be similar to those rather expensive diamond buffers?

Glassman's design is very similar to the diamond buffer design from the Jung article you can find referenced in the sticky thread on diamond buffers in this forum. The LaRocco Audio diamond buffer is related to that design, but superior. I cannot say more -- it's not my place to plublicize that design.

May 7, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #144 of 720
You gotta love the picture with the glowing LEDs. It makes you want to put a clear top on your PPA.

May 7, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #145 of 720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak
Hi guys,
I'm really glad I can introduce Glassman's Diamond buffer to you...
We've been testing the prototype extensively today. And it does really look promising!
When we first plugged one triade in - Holly crap! The sound si now more detailed, with much stronger bass and better separation between instruments. These buffers add whole new life and sparkle to my beloved PPA. Yes, the highs seem a bit sharp and grainy but with proper burning-in this should be fixed.

Here are some pictures.
Enjoy...
cool.gif

Diamond-up01.jpg

Bye-Bye Intersil:

Diamond-dark01.jpg

Congratulations on your new Design Glassman for a job well done. Those LED look real cool however you could rescale your resistors and use BLUE as a reference that would be a nice effect.

I experienced the same thing when first listening to my Diamond buffer for the PPA the TRIAD Module. The sound improved all across the board however the PPA straights still were preserved. The difference between op amps was greater and all headphones sounded like they moved up one quality grade or more.

Don’t be to quick to pronounce the opa637 stable as this can come back and bite you as it has me. When hot and loaded with something extreme like CD3Ks your output stage bandwidth will plummet and any sudden transients or other enormous gremlins can conspire to create stability problems and also evaluate with bass boost on.

Anyway Good luck and I am so glad the youth today are into constructive works. In addition with the art of analog and most importantly discrete component level designers fast becoming lost it is good to learn the old ways.

May 7, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #146 of 720
Quote:

Glassman's design is very similar to the diamond buffer design from the Jung article you can find referenced in the sticky thread on diamond buffers in this forum. The LaRocco Audio diamond buffer is related to that design, but superior. I cannot say more -- it's not my place to plublicize that design.

As tangent said, and I can add that ppl spent a fair bit of time experimenting, both theoretically and empirically, to arrive to his final solution (he has even better ones but they wouldn't fit). I love how compact and small Glassman's boards are, that's exactly what I was hoping that someone will do, but do expect a lot of experimenting before you get the most out of it. This is certainly a good start, and the glow is cool.

May 7, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #147 of 720
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent

Glassman took "my" design but changed the output transistors. Anyway "my" buffer has cascodes and Jung had not. I don't know how much they do but some I'll believe.

Nice patch, Karlosak! It's cool when you have lights inside. I used only dull diodes (transistors infact) for my reference voltages.

May 7, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #148 of 720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobrew
You gotta love the picture with the glowing LEDs. It makes you want to put a clear top on your PPA.

Exactly! Now I just whisper for myself: "Why didn't I build it with a clear cover, Why didn't I build it with a clear cover......."
biggrin.gif

P.S.: This is not yet the final version. Glassman is still playing and fiddling with it intensively. So stay tuned
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #150 of 720
Quote:

Glassman took "my" design

He changed it back to the LED+transistor type bias setup that Jung originally used instead of the stacked transistors in your design. The former takes up less board space, which was helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back