Discrete PPA Diamond Buffer - Alternative DIY Take :)
Oct 21, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #496 of 720
First of all, thank you Glassman (and of course ppl, Peranders, uhm, forgot anyone ?
280smile.gif
) for the discrete buffers, they really sound good to me.

I noticed they run quite hot, so I thought of adding on the accessible side of each one of those little heatsinks for ram modules (like these , about 20x9x6 mm, alu or copper), and maybe drilling a row of holes over them in my lansing enclosure (as extreme measure only, as the holes invariably turn into dust intakes).
What do you think, could it be a sensible precaution to extend their life or it's overkill and I'm just being paranoid? Thank you

Alessandro

Oct 21, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #497 of 720
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexm
First of all, thank you Glassman (and of course ppl, Peranders, uhm, forgot anyone ?
280smile.gif
) for the discrete buffers, they really sound good to me.

I noticed they run quite hot, so I thought of adding on the accessible side of each one of those little heatsinks for ram modules (like these , about 20x9x6 mm, alu or copper), and maybe drilling a row of holes over them in my lansing enclosure (as extreme measure only, as the holes invariably turn into dust intakes).
What do you think, could it be a sensible precaution to extend their life or it's overkill and I'm just being paranoid? Thank you

Alessandro

No need of heatsinking them, if you want this is up to you, but I had mine 24/7 since I got them, and no problems to the date

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #498 of 720
Anyword on the Complete Kits Glassman? I can't wait to get a hold of some!

Nov 3, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #500 of 720
actually yes, I just need to buy some legs.. so if anyone want some of the 'surplus' GPDBmk3, shoot me a PM..
smily_headphones1.gif

the new ones won't be here that soon, still prototyping and tuning..

Nov 3, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #502 of 720
on request, why not..

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #508 of 720
I'm going through with second generation of PPA Diamond Buffers, getting quotes from manufacturers, already have some parts ready.. hope it won't take too long..

Jan 10, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #509 of 720
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
I'm going through with second generation of PPA Diamond Buffers, getting quotes from manufacturers, already have some parts ready.. hope it won't take too long..

Are you starting another thread for the new one, with a new list of buyers etc.

Also would it be advisable for the buyer to do the work himself, ie just parts unassembled to I dunno learn smt soldering? or is there a large chance of doing something wrong?

Jan 10, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #510 of 720
there's not gonna be any smt soldering required for the second generation buffers, all surface mount parts will be already on the board, all you have to do is solder one polypropylene film cap, two TO126 transistors and plug in the legs.. my experience is that relatively lot of people screwed up, so I've decided to provide the boards mashine populated..

there probably won't be any group buy, ordering through email or PM this time.. I'll place a Mall-Fi ad..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back