Discrete portable head amp / dac
Jun 11, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 14
ummm, fully discrete portable dacs......

no options AKAIK. even most DIY solutions will use an opamp or 2. and no the D2 is not discrete

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 14
check out the thread about the review of 13 portable amp/dac.
The op said that the nuforce icon mobile was bettter than the d2.
And the icon mobile is quite tiny.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 14
I had started designing a Class-A discrete portable amp. The battery life was good enough to listen to two decent length songs. Then...no more sound...insert new batteries...two more songs...insert new batteries...repeat until your fingers fall off from replacing batteries.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had started designing a Class-A discrete portable amp. The battery life was good enough to listen to two decent length songs. Then...no more sound...insert new batteries...two more songs...insert new batteries...repeat until your fingers fall off from replacing batteries.

Either your amp is unstable or "over biased".

I (almost) always listen through discrete class A portable amps. The battery life is about 5 hours and these amps are all with active ground channel. If you bias the output stage to 20 - 30 mA and use 1000 mA AAAs the runtime is OK. I don't understand why people use 6F22 batteries when DIY'ing.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, Mobile small enough for you? If you don't need the DAC section, there's always the Mustang.

[size=small]
. . . or he can wait on Phil LaRocco's PortaCode from TriadAudio (Portacode).
smile.gif

EDIT: Updated TriadAudio website link to PortaCode specific link.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back