Discrete CD player - reasonably priced
Jun 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
I've been playing with the idea of picking up a stand-alone CD player, as I've been buying more and more physical cds to rip to FLAC, as a lot of the bands I listen to don't have lossless digital formats readily available to buy. I've read a few threads on here about them, but it seems like the majority are (to me) prohibitively expensive for what they are, averaging $600+. Since I wouldn't be using the player a lot, I don't want to drop a huge amount of money on one; but, conversely, I don't want to buy an oversized paperweight, either.

Assuming a budget of about $250, is there anything out there that's worth looking at? I've glanced through some vintage cd player stuff, but it's hard to separate the good from the bad. The Marantz CD5004 seems to be a good, basic cd player (although above what I want to pay), and has coax out which would allow me to easily integrate it into my existing headphone rig.

I'm open to any suggestions, and while I'd like to stay between $250-300, I could go a little higher if it would be the difference in acquiring a decent vs a good cd player. I already have a discrete DAC and headphone amp, so the cd player would only need to act as a cd transport.

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 6
TEAC CD-P 650

Currently under 200 USD on amazon.

While I would still prefer the Marantz though as I heard only good things about the Marantz.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 6
My suggestion is the Emotiva ERC-2. While it is $450, I think it is an excellent CD player. The downfall is it doesn't have many compatible formats. The upside is the many output formats. Either way, I like mine.

http://emotiva.com/erc2.shtm

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 6
The ERC-2 is pretty nice, but unfortunately a bit out of my price range right now.  Ended up buying a Marantz CD5004 from the For Sale section today; good timing, I guess.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 6
If all you need is a transport the Shanling, Cambridge and Little Dot compact CDPlayers are worth looking at. But at $450 the Emotiva is the best option, at least you now have a back-up in case the DAC fails or an option for which source works best with other gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back